Notting Hill Carnival today..

Started by Scrumpy, August 26, 2024, 10:18:51 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Any bets on how many stabbings there will be.. ?
I am going for 3...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

1955vintage

The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

klondike

There were 3 yesterday one a woman with life threatening injuries. Bound to be more today. All part of the culture. 

dextrous63

What would a cultural street party be without a few violent deaths to liven things up.

JBR

This 'carnival' is probably a precursor of much general life in this country now.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Alex

Why on earth do they let it continue ?  People having to board up their windows, their gardens used as a toilet, litter and glass everywhere.   Before the Euros football fans weren't allowed a 'fan zone' in central London for fear of trouble.  Another example of two tier policing.

dextrous63

The whole thing started as a kick back to racial tensions and, perhaps ironically, a murder in the 1950's-early 60's iirc.

Anyone carrying a knife to it, yet alone using it, is a complete contradiction to the whole purpose of it.

klondike

Quote from: dextrous63 on August 26, 2024, 01:22:28 PMAnyone carrying a knife to it, yet alone using it, is a complete contradiction to the whole purpose of it.
In that case they should expect a severe ticking off should they be caught more than a couple of times doing it.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 26, 2024, 03:58:03 PMIn that case they should expect a severe ticking off should they be caught more than a couple of times doing it.
You're very laissez faire, Klon.

In my opinion, anyone carrying a knife (unless they need one for their work) should be shot...
well, OK, maybe flogged then.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Vlad

Isn't it past its sell by date? 7000 coppers deployed for security, some residents moved from their home to ensure their safety, a massive cleanup operation. The cost must be staggering
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on August 26, 2024, 04:57:12 PMYou're very laissez faire, Klon.

In my opinion, anyone carrying a knife (unless they need one for their work) should be shot...
well, OK, maybe flogged then.
Followed by 10 years mandatory hard Labour.

klondike

We got five of those for no crime at all.

August 26, 2024, 07:46:15 PM
Quote from: JBR on August 26, 2024, 04:57:12 PMYou're very laissez faire, Klon.
You really should learn to recognise sarcasm old bean.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 26, 2024, 07:45:18 PMWe got five of those for no crime at all.

August 26, 2024, 07:46:15 PMYou really should learn to recognise sarcasm old bean.
No not sarcasm.  I assume that the level of 'punishment' you referred to was standard practice these days, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly what they hand out now, at least if you're non-white!
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Quote from: Vlad on August 26, 2024, 05:09:50 PMIsn't it past its sell by date? 7000 coppers deployed for security, some residents moved from their home to ensure their safety, a massive cleanup operation. The cost must be staggering
Ah, but Vlad, this could be true for a whole raft of things.  trooping the colours, state funerals, the pomp and ceremony of opening parliament, ....

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on August 26, 2024, 08:22:45 PMAh, but Vlad, this could be true for a whole raft of things.  trooping the colours, state funerals, the pomp and ceremony of opening parliament, ....
Ah, but Trooping the Colours, etc. are not likely to result in moving people from their homes, etc.
Numquam credere Gallicum