What's happened to Television

Started by Mups, August 17, 2024, 10:42:38 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Mups

Quote from: Alex on August 18, 2024, 02:12:35 PMLike Klondy I binned my TV licence a few years ago so I don't watch any live telly. 
As for the adverts, I just don't know why they have to advertise Tampax at all.  Everyone knows what they're for and where to buy them.  End of.

I watched a good film last night on Netflix called US Marshalls with Tommy Lee Jones  :upvote:
Totally agree with that comment.  [2090]

dextrous63

On the subject of adverts, i think it might be a jolly good idea for the government(s) and council(s) to spend a bit of our cash on public information ads.  Nothing extravagant, but a reminder/explanation of it being nice to be nice.  Eg, it's good not to drop litter, ..., when you walk across a road, it's pleasant to check that drivers are taking due care not to knock you over,..., the Highway Code at traffic lights) applied to cyclists too,....it's advantageous and polite to take your used plates/trays to clean up points in cafes...  etc, etc.

Not negative, not berating anyone (research indicates that it's less likely to change people's behaviour positively if you berate them)

As we are told that "celebs" are supposedly great influencers and role models, I'm sure they would happily give a few moments of their time to take part in/endorse these little public info ads.

It might even help those who haven't been made aware of desirable cultural behaviours (including far too many of the "indigenous" ones).

Silver Tabby

Quote from: dextrous63 on August 18, 2024, 11:45:48 AMAh, the old joke about the Irishman who wrote to tampax, ...

"I've been using your product for three months, and I still can't ride a bike, play tennis, now swim"
Oi - that's racist!

klondike

No. They are white so it must me ok.

Michael Rolls

Apart from Rugby, can't remember the last time I watched a live TV programme in its entirety. Certainly not this year, although s-i-l suckered me into watching much of the closing ceremony of the Olympics - gave up after about 60 very boring minutes
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Talking of adverts I used to love this one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JewvltoSdug&pp=ygUOd2hpc2thcyBhZHZlcnQ%3D

Oops wonder why this shows as a link and not the actual clip ?

klondike

Quote from: Alex on August 20, 2024, 09:04:22 AMOops wonder why this shows as a link and not the actual clip ?

Use share in Youtube to copy the link

https://youtu.be/JewvltoSdug?si=HnndmTznQKIMKufa

Then junk the query string - the question mark on. (?si=HnndmTznQKIMKufa in that one)

The mod that embeds things is picky over link format

Alex

Doesn't always happen though.  Do I delete everything after the question mark ?

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on August 20, 2024, 07:18:55 AMApart from Rugby, can't remember the last time I watched a live TV programme in its entirety. Certainly not this year, although s-i-l suckered me into watching much of the closing ceremony of the Olympics - gave up after about 60 very boring minutes
Personally, I have never found the Olympics particularly interesting.   Just not my thing, I suppose.

However, I have been thinking seriously of popping in to watch the next Olympics, at least those events between ladies.
No, nothing like you dirty-minded people are thinking. 
I should find it a bit of a challenge to try to guess whether or not each individual contestant is a real woman!
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Quote from: Alex on August 20, 2024, 10:18:31 AMDoesn't always happen though.  Do I delete everything after the question mark ?
Yes. 

Some other formats aren't recognised either. The Youtube share format should always look like the one above and oddly the authors of the mod didn't think to allow the easiest and most common way of sharing a video. 

August 20, 2024, 11:22:22 AM
Quote from: JBR on August 20, 2024, 10:39:33 AMat least those events between ladies.
By the time the next ones come around there will be a lot more laddies competing I expect and a lot less ladies.

Vlad

I watched the Olympics..where there were interviewers interviewing interviewers..they didn't win anything ..
During the moments between interviewing each other there was som sport, I noticed that the running events were full of black people; the shooting events were full of white people.
Oh ..I also noticed that there were no non swimmers in the swimming events.
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

klondike

I stopped watching when they replaced tiddlywinks with marbles on TV.

dextrous63

I used to like watching snooker on a black and white tv.

Joking apart, my colourblindness means I cannot tell the difference between the brown ball and the reds, either on TV nor on a real snooker table.🥹

Alex

How do you manage traffic lights Dex, do you just go by the position  ?