GP's vote for industrial action

Started by Mups, August 01, 2024, 09:49:00 PM

« previous - next »

Mups

I heard on the news today that our GP's  are going to add to the country's troubles now.

Apparently 8,500 of them took part in a ballot run by the  BMA,  and 98.3% of them voted to take industrial action  over funding.  It starts from August 1st.

It seems the last Government only gave them a 1.9% funding increase for 2024/25,  and they are saying many Surgeries will not be able to stay financially viable on that.

It is often difficult enough for patients to get appointments as it is,  but it looks like we might have to rely on  ringing 111 more,  or go to the  already badly  over-stretched A & E if we need help now.

What a worrying, miserable country we have become.

dextrous63

Right.  That's it.  Enough is enough.  I think we should play them at their own game by refusing to get sick, and thus put them out of work.

That'll teach them.

Cassandra

I have been shocked by what I'm seeing, but also how quietly UK Pensioners seem to be accepting the downright deceit of Starmer in the robbery of the Warming Allowance snatch debacle. No anger just a limpid roll-over. I'm amazed at how profoundly Starmer has mis-led people on this subject.

Nothing but another cheap political liar and the way Rachel Reeves delivered the brutality was profoundly disturbing for the Minister in charge of fiscal policy and supposedly a woman too, the cratures of kindness and empathy.

All gone to pay young Marxists from the Doctors Union 'The BMA' 22% and to placate the idiot Milliband with his 'Green' crappery.

Who will ever believe anything he now says.

Truly a disgrace to our profession you vile, volt-faced snake!

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

Cass, we'd got bored listening to the same old drivel being prattled out by the Tories.  So we thought we'd try some alternative comedy for a few years.  Nobody actually believes a word that any of them say, and never did.

Cassandra

I agree wholeheartedly, but because of the sadnesses in Southport he seems to have got away with this one and I think its an absolute disgrace. He and his Liberal scaffolding both hate Pensioners and they are determined to negate the triple lock by every cowardly method possible. Currently the fiscal drag on frozen allowances does that anyway. What a spiteful, waspish lot they are indeeed.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

Chatgpt try 1

Cassandra's post on LetsChat criticizes UK political leaders, particularly Starmer, for their handling of the Warming Allowance and their perceived deceit towards pensioners. She expresses frustration at the lack of public outrage and accuses the leaders of prioritizing their own agendas over the needs of vulnerable groups. Cassandra's tone is passionate and indignant, reflecting a deep dissatisfaction with current political actions and leadership.

After a couple of corrections on the actual allowance name and how Cass self identifies  :grin:

Cassandra's post criticizes UK political leaders, particularly Keir Starmer, for scrapping the Winter Fuel Allowance for many pensioners. He accuses them of deceit and neglecting the needs of vulnerable groups. Cassandra expresses frustration over the lack of public outrage and argues that leaders are more focused on their own agendas than on supporting vulnerable citizens. His tone is passionate and indignant, reflecting deep dissatisfaction with the political climate and decisions affecting pensioners.

dextrous63

Why do I suspect that Cass's next post may well tell you precisely where you can stick Chatgpt?  😬😬😬. 

GrannyMac

Quote from: dextrous63 on August 01, 2024, 11:06:33 PMRight.  That's it.  Enough is enough.  I think we should play them at their own game by refusing to get sick, and thus put them out of work.

That'll teach them.
I agree!  Let's boycott them.   :boo:

Seriously, although we're not wealthy, we can manage without the WFA, and not freeze. However lots of (particularly single) pensioners are just a scraping above the PC threshold and they will struggle.  I'd suggest every pensioner apply for any benefit they may be entitled to!  Contact local Age UK or CAB branches for help to fill in the forms.   

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on August 01, 2024, 11:30:50 PMChatgpt try 1

Cassandra's post on LetsChat criticizes UK political leaders, particularly Starmer, for their handling of the Warming Allowance and their perceived deceit towards pensioners. She expresses frustration at the lack of public outrage and accuses the leaders of prioritizing their own agendas over the needs of vulnerable groups. Cassandra's tone is passionate and indignant, reflecting a deep dissatisfaction with current political actions and leadership.

After a couple of corrections on the actual allowance name and how Cass self identifies  :grin:

Cassandra's post criticizes UK political leaders, particularly Keir Starmer, for scrapping the Winter Fuel Allowance for many pensioners. He accuses them of deceit and neglecting the needs of vulnerable groups. Cassandra expresses frustration over the lack of public outrage and argues that leaders are more focused on their own agendas than on supporting vulnerable citizens. His tone is passionate and indignant, reflecting deep dissatisfaction with the political climate and decisions affecting pensioners.

:upvote: :grin:

August 02, 2024, 08:28:09 AM
Quote from: Mups on August 01, 2024, 09:49:00 PMI heard on the news today that our GP's  are going to add to the country's troubles now.

Apparently 8,500 of them took part in a ballot run by the  BMA,  and 98.3% of them voted to take industrial action  over funding.  It starts from August 1st.

It seems the last Government only gave them a 1.9% funding increase for 2024/25,  and they are saying many Surgeries will not be able to stay financially viable on that.

It is often difficult enough for patients to get appointments as it is,  but it looks like we might have to rely on  ringing 111 more,  or go to the  already badly  over-stretched A & E if we need help now.

What a worrying, miserable country we have become.
The core causes of the UK's current financial & social problems are all down to illegal immigration, & no, I won't legitimise it by calling it irregular, because the accommodation & living expenses cost per illegal immigrant, as at December 2023, is £677.39 per week.

These illegal also swamp the NHS & all the other agencies, sucking 100s of £millions per year from their budgets.

They're also the reason we need to build a house every two minutes just to keep pace with them.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

1955vintage

Having not seen a GP for nearly four years, how will I notice that they are on strike?
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

klondike

Please sir, please sir I actually saw one in her office. I sat in front of her a month or so back. There is still at least one around in this town. I'm not sure if there are any more or if I'll live long enough to see one again but there is more than a 0% possibility.

August 02, 2024, 12:12:56 PM
Quote from: Diasi on August 02, 2024, 08:20:42 AMThe core causes of the UK's current financial & social problems are all down to illegal immigration
Illegals certainly cost an arm and a leg but their numbers are dwarfed by legal immigration. There is no doubt that some of that is good for the country but a lot of it just sucks away at our resources and doesn't pay enough in tax to cover the expense of their presence. 

The huge numbers guarantee that there will be little to no assimilation into British society of large numbers which is what leads to ghettoisation, friction and resentment.

Don't expect this to be sorted any time soon. I expect things to get worse during the rest of my lifetime. At some point there will be some really serious and large scale civil unrest. Probably short of a civil war but not far off in some  parts. IMO obviously as I have no crystal ball.

Mups

Quote from: klondike on August 02, 2024, 12:05:42 PMPlease sir, please sir I actually saw one in her office. I sat in front of her a month or so back. There is still at least one around in this town. I'm not sure if there are any more or if I'll live long enough to see one again but there is more than a 0% possibility.

August 02, 2024, 12:12:56 PMIllegals certainly cost an arm and a leg but their numbers are dwarfed by legal immigration. There is no doubt that some of that is good for the country but a lot of it just sucks away at our resources and doesn't pay enough in tax to cover the expense of their presence.

The huge numbers guarantee that there will be little to no assimilation into British society of large numbers which is what leads to ghettoisation, friction and resentment.

Don't expect this to be sorted any time soon. I expect things to get worse during the rest of my lifetime. At some point there will be some really serious and large scale civil unrest. Probably short of a civil war but not far off in some  parts. IMO obviously as I have no crystal ball.

Yep,  I agree with all that, Klondike,  especially your last paragraph.  
I too,   won't be surprised if at some point there will likely be some massive uprising before long.

AnnieS

I'm not at all surprised they want to protest against years of being put upon.  They have had layer after layer of complexity being thrown at them by successive governments but no more money.  Labour have said that they want more care out of hospital and at primary care/community level in a repeat of the old mantra "closer to home" that has been.  

Judging by the manifesto, they seem to want to go back to the failed "polyclinic" model that the last Labour government failed to implement after wasting goodness knows how much money discussing for years. A model incidentally that originated in Soviet Russia.  The Tories were trying to get rid of GP practices as we know them and Labour haven't said they plan to change that.  GP surgeries are being taken over by big business healthcare chains as doctors retire in droves, with services they delivered replaced by AI or online services.  The old chestnut that pharmacies will be at the heart of healthcare usually delivered by your GP practice as if they have the capacity or expertise to deal with the level of demand or facilities needed. 

If you thought the service was bad before, prepare for an even bigger mess as Labour try to get GPs to do far more without matching the pay rises being given to medical staff in secondary care.  Much as we love to hate them, they are the ones who have voluntarily set up businesses to provide the service at the coalface of healthcare.  The environment they work in has become extremely demanding, stressful and financially unviable. 

muddy

The GPS in our healthcare place mostly only work 3 days a week but there are a lot of them .

Mups

Quote from: muddy on August 03, 2024, 06:46:48 AMThe GPS in our healthcare place mostly only work 3 days a week but there are a lot of them .

Some of them here don't do a full week either,  but I have always thought it is because they do private work elsewhere on the other days.   More dosh.