Well Said. At last the truth.

Started by Raven, July 27, 2024, 09:10:54 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

Quote from: klondike on July 28, 2024, 10:45:02 AMUniversity Accommodation is pretty much only available for a few first year students I think. The rest use rented housing which obviously pushes up the rents and reduces options for locals. It encourages the conversion of older family homes which may have been affordable for those just starting out on the housing ladder into HMOs which can be a PITA for those living near them.

I see, Thankyou. :upvote:

ansu

I am surprised about what you write about foreign students in the UK. My daughter and my son-in-law studied and my granddaughters attended a boarding school in the UK. It was quite expensive and one of my granddaughters wanted to study in the UK, too, but when she learned what expenses would be involved, she decided in favour of Amsterdam. Moreover, I read somewhere that the universities in the UK aren't too happy about the Brexit, because many students decide to study in another country now and their money is missing.

klondike

This is the official government announcement that foreign students will no longer be able to bring dependents. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tough-government-action-on-student-visas-comes-into-effect

Note no longer - it confirms what I posted that they were able to do so and was certainly used as a back door migration tool. The new government could reverse that. I'm not saying that they will merely that they could.

Alex

Quote from: ansu on July 28, 2024, 01:51:50 PMI am surprised about what you write about foreign students in the UK. My daughter and my son-in-law studied and my granddaughters attended a boarding school in the UK. It was quite expensive and one of my granddaughters wanted to study in the UK, too, but when she learned what expenses would be involved, she decided in favour of Amsterdam. Moreover, I read somewhere that the universities in the UK aren't too happy about the Brexit, because many students decide to study in another country now and their money is missing.

They're now full of African "students " Ansu.

JBR

Quote from: ansu on July 28, 2024, 01:51:50 PMI am surprised about what you write about foreign students in the UK. My daughter and my son-in-law studied and my granddaughters attended a boarding school in the UK. It was quite expensive and one of my granddaughters wanted to study in the UK, too, but when she learned what expenses would be involved, she decided in favour of Amsterdam. Moreover, I read somewhere that the universities in the UK aren't too happy about the Brexit, because many students decide to study in another country now and their money is missing.
We should be clear about British universities.
In the 19th century there were far fewer universities in Britain, but as time went on numbers increased steadily.  Other colleges were founded and more recently quite a large number of polytechnics which worked like universities but were regarded as inferior with regard to standards.
I believe it was around 1992 that polytechnics began to be renamed as universities and joined by other independent colleges, many having been part of universities and chose to become separate institutions.

Soon after that, our prime minister Bliar decided to change the system and encourage half of all school leavers to go to university.  Since then, the numbers of university students has increased exponentially.  The unfortunate consequences of that are that today it is believed that due to the large numbers the standards of university degrees have plummeted.  To make matters worse, there are now so many young people leaving universities with degrees who can not manage to obtain an appropriate professional job and end up working for low-paid employment or, sometimes, no job at all.

Clearly, standards of universities in this country are now really quite variable.  There are the two most senior and most highly regarded: Oxford and Cambridge, and I believe two or three ancient Scottish universities. The Russell group of 24 are the most highly regarded universities in the UK.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Quote from: Alex on July 28, 2024, 05:38:59 PMThey're now full of African "students " Ansu.
There were some in an HMO across the road from me who were great mates with another group in the HMO two doors up. My neighbours were at their wits end with the frequent all nighters and consequent racket. They complained to the landlord enough that he wouldn't renew them and luckiily the current batch of students are no problem at all.