OneDrive backup

Started by dextrous63, July 25, 2024, 10:03:25 PM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

Hi and this is a technical question.

I have my files backed up on the cloud on OneDrive.  Around 40 or so Gig.  I want to back OneDrive onto and external hard drive for my own peace of mind.  But, try as I may, I cannot drag and drop things across.  Nor have I managed to use some available software.

I don't want the backup to be synchronised as things change on my PC.  I'd rather do another backup in the future if needs be.

Any ideas?  Keep it simple please, as you'll be explaining it to an idiot....ie...me.

Mups

Judd's the best one for I know for computers, Dex,  if he sees your post.

dextrous63

Quote from: Mups on July 25, 2024, 11:06:29 PMJudd's the best one for I know for computers, Dex,  if he sees your post.
Thanks Mups.  Not sure how often he frequents on here.  I think the hairy monster owner also has some tech skills.

klondike

Sorry but I always disable OneDrive on my Windows machines so I have never even looked at it.

dextrous63

Ah.  Thanks anyway Klondy.

I'll set up a thread on the mothership then and see what comes up there from Judd, Bruce or anyone else.👍

JBR

I got rid of One Drive years ago, and now use Google Drive to back up any new file as and when I create them or update them.  I don't know how much space I have there, but so far so good.

In the longer term, I occasionally copy all new files to both of two external hard discs using FreeFileSync.  Consequently, I have copies of all files on my computer on two independent discs, one of which I keep in a safe and the other I hide somewhere.

If the computer goes tits-up, I still have everything saved safely.  If one of the hard discs also fails, I still have another one, so hopefully I feel pretty safe!

I'd swear by this external hard discs.  They are not expensive: £50 or less each, and are worth it in saving all the work I have ever done.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Raven

Everything I back up is on one of two external drives. One for photos, audio books I want to keep, phone vids I want to keep.
Other one is films and series I want to keep.
I learned my lesson several years ago when I found the blue death screen on my PC one day, I lost soooooo much. Now it's kept off the PC.

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on July 26, 2024, 12:25:31 PMGoogle suggests it should be an easy process

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/guide/download-files-and-folders-from-onedrive-or-sharepoint/
I was trying to avoid downloading to C and then shifting it to D

Can't see how to avoid the middleman and downloading direct to D.

klondike

Usually the Save As will give you the opportunity to select a location and that should include your USB drive so long as it is plugged in. It's just a browser download so I can't see it being any different for OneDrive than any other source. For instance if I download from Google drive it pops up with a File Explorer window so you can choose where it goes. Mind you MicroSoft like Apple can be annoying sods so it's possible that they'll do something odd.

dextrous63

Will look in a bit, but IIRC Onedrive only offers a download option rather than save as.  Not sure how to change the default destination drive.

klondike

It said Save As in that link but plain old Download will be the same - that's all Google Drive offers and you can save it anywhere.

dextrous63

I'm struggling to unlink my pc from onedrive.  Can't find the thing/places/menu/option that's described online at all :hmm:

klondike

It's talking about using a browser so you need to use that to get to where your files are stored by MS

How do I get my OneDrive link?
Tip: You can generate sharing links through the OneDrive desktop app for Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 11, and Mac. Just right-click the file or folder in your OneDrive folder on your computer and select Share a OneDrive link. This will copy a link to your clipboard that you can paste wherever you want to send it.

Just paste the link into the browser address bar then I'm guessing you just right click on folders or files

As I said I've got rid of OneDrive but this is what my GoogleDrive looks like in a browser after I've right clicked a folder. I doubt that OneDrive looks much different.