How we were . .

Started by Mups, July 25, 2024, 09:07:40 PM

« previous - next »

Vlad

Quote from: Mups on August 07, 2024, 10:51:10 PMI had one today for my lunch as it happens.

We could have shared it if I'd known.  :smiley:
I knew there was something about you I liked. 🤪
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

Scrumpy

My mum used to make herself a cup of coffee using Camp..
We couldn't wait to be grown-up and have coffee..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I recall my parents had that. I'm guessing it predates instant coffee. 

Mups

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 12, 2024, 06:31:17 PMMy mum used to make herself a cup of coffee using Camp..
We couldn't wait to be grown-up and have coffee..

Gosh that takes me back, Scrumpy.

I remember many moons ago,  my husband-to-be  always used that.

I wonder if it is still made?

Scrumpy

My mum told us that coffee was for grown-ups only..
As we got older we couldn't wait to try this adults only drink..
What a let down.. Coffee wasn't frothy back them..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I think you can still buy Camp coffee, used for baking nowadays.

Mups

Quote from: Alex on August 13, 2024, 09:20:15 AMI think you can still buy Camp coffee, used for baking nowadays.
Fancy that.    I haven't seen it for many years.   Thanks.

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on August 12, 2024, 08:17:12 PMI recall my parents had that. I'm guessing it predates instant coffee.
My in-laws had Camp, my parents had Nescafe. Always made with milk.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Silver Tabby

The label has been changed a couple of times - but it is still in the shops.

" An original 'Camp Coffee' label. The Paterson Company of Glasgow was catapulted to fame with the world's first instant coffee in 1876: Camp Coffee (an essence of coffee-beans, chicory and sugar poured from a distinctive bottle). The origin of Camp Coffee is believed to have come from a request from the Gordon Highlanders to Campbell Paterson for a coffee drink that could be used easily by the army on field campaigns in India. The regular process of grinding and brewing coffee beans was too complicated and time consuming for a military field kitchen. The creation of a liquid Camp Coffee provided a simpler method. Originally the picture depicted the Sikh as carrying a tray of coffee -- an intermediate version, with the Sikh standing but the tray missing; it is widely believed that this was changed to avoid the imperialist connotations of the Sikh as a servant.The new label is a drawing of a Gordon Highlander soldier and a Sikh soldier sitting down together outside a tent, from which flies a flag carrying the drink's slogan, "Ready Aye Ready"

Mups

Oh gosh yes,  I remember that old label now. 
Seems a lifetime ago. :smiley:

JBR

Quote from: Silver Tabby on August 13, 2024, 04:26:33 PMThe label has been changed a couple of times - but it is still in the shops.

" An original 'Camp Coffee' label. The Paterson Company of Glasgow was catapulted to fame with the world's first instant coffee in 1876: Camp Coffee (an essence of coffee-beans, chicory and sugar poured from a distinctive bottle). The origin of Camp Coffee is believed to have come from a request from the Gordon Highlanders to Campbell Paterson for a coffee drink that could be used easily by the army on field campaigns in India. The regular process of grinding and brewing coffee beans was too complicated and time consuming for a military field kitchen. The creation of a liquid Camp Coffee provided a simpler method. Originally the picture depicted the Sikh as carrying a tray of coffee -- an intermediate version, with the Sikh standing but the tray missing; it is widely believed that this was changed to avoid the imperialist connotations of the Sikh as a servant.The new label is a drawing of a Gordon Highlander soldier and a Sikh soldier sitting down together outside a tent, from which flies a flag carrying the drink's slogan, "Ready Aye Ready"
Having not seen a Camp Coffee label for many years, I naturally assumed that the present-day version would be exactly the same as the original version, but with the standing servant having a white face and the sitting soldier a brown face.

Rule no. 1 today, of course, is 'equality'.
Numquam credere Gallicum