How we were . .

Started by Mups, July 25, 2024, 09:07:40 PM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

Radio Luxembourg.  Used to like listening to that for some reason.

klondike

Some of the fun came in constantly twiddling the knob in a vain attempt to stop the fading.

Sunday evening quiz shows that later made it to TV
Take your Pick and Double Your Money.

There was something about Keynsham Middlesex which got said very deliberately but I don't recall exactly what. Maybe a UK address to write to the station.

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on July 27, 2024, 04:36:21 PMI was told (old wives tale?) spiders don't like them, so I have some on a window ledge.  Playing indeed!  :rolleyes:
Spiders?  No, we rarely see one in our house.  The cats seem to keep them away.
Or perhaps eat them.

Yes, cats are better than conkers.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Conkers appear In the autumn just as spiders decline. The test is does the area remain spider free come early summer?

Actually I have no idea if they do deter spiders or not but I have heard the story before.

dextrous63

Let's all do the conker, let's all do the conker, la la lala, la la lala :clap: :yay:

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 27, 2024, 09:16:46 PMLet's all do the conker, let's all do the conker, la la lala, la la lala :clap: :yay:
Oh, go and play with your 'conkers', Dex!
Numquam credere Gallicum

Mups

Quote from: klondike on July 27, 2024, 06:07:55 PMSome of the fun came in constantly twiddling the knob in a vain attempt to stop the fading.

There was something about Keynsham Middlesex which got said very deliberately but I don't recall exactly what. Maybe a UK address to write to the station.

Quote from: klondike on July 27, 2024, 06:07:55 PMSome of the fun came in constantly twiddling the knob in a vain attempt to stop the fading.

Aah,  memories ey. . .  sigh . .

Yes, I remember listening to a crackly Radio Luxemboug too - usually under the bed sheets when I was supposed to be asleep.   

I remember Take Your Pick, and Hughie Green's Double your Money as well.   

I also remember the Keynsham address being given out on the Radio,  but I believe they used to say -  Keynsham, Bristol?
I can't remember what is was for, either.   

Raven

dextrous63

Quote from: Raven on July 28, 2024, 06:31:48 AM:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Wounded to the core is what I am, Raven.  Wounded.

Scrumpy

Marbles..!! and Five Stones..
Where did all the marbles go..!! Most the kids on the street had a bagful..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I remember Keynsham Bristol too  :grin:

"Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol." :grin:

Scrumpy

I remember going to the Derby in Epsom with my mum..
There was a character there who walked around dressed in colourful feathers etc..
I think he was African.. He would say 'I have a horse' and people would buy a card from him with a name of a horse on it.. He made a few bob out of this .. Someone always won a prize.. 
I just can not remember his name..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Ah well I guess it must have been Bristol. Perhaps my parents had a crappier aerial or something or maybe the intervening years have stolen it away.

Michael Miles did Take Yor Pick along with the Yes No interlude and I think Horace Bachelor on the gong. With all that useless info clogging my neurones no wonder I can't remember what I had for tea yesterday.

Raven

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 28, 2024, 08:13:11 AMWounded to the core is what I am, Raven.  Wounded.

Oh Dear, Sorry but it made me laugh. :busted:

Mups

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 28, 2024, 08:45:09 AMMarbles..!! and Five Stones..
Where did all the marbles go..!! Most the kids on the street had a bagful..

Rumour has it that Dex lost his yonks ago.   :rofl:

July 28, 2024, 03:08:26 PM
Quote from: klondike on July 28, 2024, 10:51:27 AMAh well I guess it must have been Bristol. Perhaps my parents had a crappier aerial or something or maybe the intervening years have stolen it away.

Michael Miles did Take Yor Pick along with the Yes No interlude and I think Horace Bachelor on the gong
. With all that useless info clogging my neurones no wonder I can't remember what I had for tea yesterday.

That's it,  I remember that too.  :smiley:

July 28, 2024, 03:14:56 PM
I can also remember my Nan & Grandads house when they converted over to electric from gas wall lights.
Nan was very wary of change, and didn't want to do it.

I also remember Grandad having a plate of white furry stuff.  It was Tripe.    Never fancied it myself.
Do people still eat tripe I wonder?

P.S.  Why does this silly thing keep joining all my posts together on the same reply??? 
Why can't I start a new post?