Mason Bees

Started by JBR, July 23, 2024, 06:15:33 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

We have had the pleasure of visitations by Mason Bees (Osmia Bicornis or Osmia Rufa) for several years now.  At first, they appeared in small numbers milling about some cracks in stone steps in the garden, but then, a couple of years ago, they decided to move into some wooded blocks in which I had drilled suitable holes for them.
Disappointingly, they didn't reappear at the homes I had made for them, but I was happy to see just now that they are milling about in numbers under a roof tile above our kitchen.  I suppose, living in our roof now, they are living up to their old name of 'Osmia Rufa'!  Sorry, weak pun!
I hope that they will continue to visit and, of course, I shall do nothing to dissuade them.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Ashy

Are mason bees solitary bees or do they colonise? I ask because those things with holes or tubes in are for solitary bees. I've had one for several years, never had a bee use it.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on August 18, 2024, 12:13:45 PMAre mason bees solitary bees or do they colonise? I ask because those things with holes or tubes in are for solitary bees. I've had one for several years, never had a bee use it.
I'm not sure whether to term them solitary.  As far as I know, they don't have a single 'queen' that does all the egg-laying, but they do tend to live together in a single location.
They used to live in some hollow tubes I had put together, but this year they decided to move house and I saw a swarm buzzing around under a roof slate, so I think they are now in the loft above our kitchen.  They are no trouble, of course, and we don't even hear any noise.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Mups

Quote from: Ashy on August 18, 2024, 12:13:45 PMAre mason bees solitary bees or do they colonise? I ask because those things with holes or tubes in are for solitary bees. I've had one for several years, never had a bee use it.

Could the tubes have been too small,  perhaps?
These things usually have a bundle of assorted sizes I believe.

August 18, 2024, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: JBR on August 18, 2024, 12:23:09 PMI'm not sure whether to term them solitary.  As far as I know, they don't have a single 'queen' that does all the egg-laying, but they do tend to live together in a single location.
They used to live in some hollow tubes I had put together, but this year they decided to move house and I saw a swarm buzzing around under a roof slate, so I think they are now in the loft above our kitchen.  They are no trouble, of course, and we don't even hear any noise.

I had some last year going in and out of the mortar near my front door.   A bit hairy walking through a cloud of bees to get in and out of my door,  so  at the end of the season I got someone to fill the holes in incase they multiplied this year otherwise.

JBR

Quote from: Mups on August 18, 2024, 01:20:55 PMI had some last year going in and out of the mortar near my front door.  A bit hair walking through a cloud of bees to get in and out of my door,  so  at the end of the season I got someone to fill the holes in incase they multiplied this year otherwise.
I shouldn't worry.  They are certainly not arrogant and although they do have stings (so I've heard) they are not going to sting you unless you purposely harm them.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Ashy

Quote from: JBR on August 18, 2024, 12:23:09 PMI'm not sure whether to term them solitary.  As far as I know, they don't have a single 'queen' that does all the egg-laying, but they do tend to live together in a single location.
They'll probably make you an honorary member of their lodge if you bring your own apron.

klondike