Gardening

Started by Mups, June 26, 2024, 08:28:52 PM

« previous - next »

Mups

Does anyone here use those Nematodes in their garden,  and if so,  do you have any success with them?

I bought some last week and have used them,  but don't feel convinced of their ability to get rid of the dreaded Vine Weeval,   so it would be nice to hear any encouraging stories.   Thanks. :smiley:

Also,  has anyone else noticed a surge in Ants this year?
I've got loads in my pots and tubs, and I just saw in my gardening magazine today, that there is a glut of them this year.

I have to be so careful what I use because I have very nosey dogs!  :smiley:

Raven

Not used the Nematodes as we don't have many slugs, but Ants are a nightmare they're everywhere. I discovered a nest of them the other day under the middle slab in the greenhouse, I bought ant powder and put it between the cracks in the floor but if that doesn't work then himself will have to get the slabs up and destroy it.......I hope the powder works though.

klondike

IME ant powder is pretty good. Might need more than one dusting and put some on all routes they are using.

dextrous63

I've got a pet aardvark that sorts out any ant infestation.

Alex

I've never used slug nematodes, I've just Googled to find out about them.   At the moment I'm spraying home made Garlic water on my Hostas, but they're all in pots.  I also go out when it's dark with my little torch around my neck and a packet of salt in my hand.  :cool:

Mups

Quote from: Alex on June 27, 2024, 06:30:53 PMI've never used slug nematodes, I've just Googled to find out about them.  At the moment I'm spraying home made Garlic water on my Hostas, but they're all in pots. I also go out when it's dark with my little torch around my neck and a packet of salt in my hand.  :cool:

Me too, Alex.   Though I don't like doing it, and not proud of it.  It seems wicked somehow.

June 27, 2024, 11:15:00 PM
Quote from: Raven on June 26, 2024, 08:51:16 PMNot used the Nematodes as we don't have many slugs, but Ants are a nightmare they're everywhere. I discovered a nest of them the other day under the middle slab in the greenhouse, I bought ant powder and put it between the cracks in the floor but if that doesn't work then himself will have to get the slabs up and destroy it.......I hope the powder works though.

How are you getting on with the Ants, Raven?    Do you think the powder has helped?

The Nematodes I have tried are to hopefully gobble up the young Vine Weevals hatchlings which I suspect I might have in several big tubs of Camelias and Rhododendrons.   
The adults have been munching big lumps out of the leaf edges,  and I am worried about them laying eggs in the compost over the roots. 

The newly hatched ones killed two Azaleas by eating away all the plant roots last year!

Raven

Quote from: Mups on June 27, 2024, 11:07:35 PMJune 27, 2024, 11:15:00 PM
How are you getting on with the Ants, Raven?    Do you think the powder has helped?

Yes it seems to have gotten rid of most of them, Am going to put down another load today, hopefully that will sort it.  :wink:

Mups

Well done.    
That's another job sorted.  [2090]