Things that pee you off..

Started by Scrumpy, June 18, 2024, 01:14:32 PM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on July 23, 2024, 06:19:54 PMDo the flap first, from inside.
I try to do that, and at times have even turned the pillow case inside out , but for reasons unknown, some parts of the hem decide to thwart my attempts regardless.

klondike

I hope this problem doesn't keep you awake at night.

Ashy

My current pet hate is a thing called AVAS. This has been fitted to the new quieter buses to make them make a noise. They don't make a pleasant noise or play a tune like an ice cream van, it's a dreadful repetitive droning noise, and it drives me mad. MAD I say. STARK RAVING BLOODY MAD. And the most annoying part is that there is no need for it.

And it's best to iron the flap first without a doubt.

dextrous63

Going to buy some starch to keep those flaps in place🙂🤭

JBR

Another helpful suggestion, if I may:
Cut a piece of stiff cardboard to the precise size to fit inside the flap.  That will keep it spread out to its full extent yet, being well to the side of the pillow, will not be felt by the sleeper.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Or...I could get some scissors and cut the flaps off.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 24, 2024, 02:20:33 PMOr...I could get some scissors and cut the flaps off.
Oh dear no!  Then the pillow will stick out of the end of the pillow case.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on July 24, 2024, 03:15:45 PMOh dear no!  Then the pillow will stick out of the end of the pillow case.
Aha....

VELCRO BRAND White Stick On Fabric Tape - 19mm x 60cm - Multipurpose No-Sew Hook and Loop Fabric Adhesive with Sticky Back - Perfect Solution for Secure Repairs, Clothing & Hemming

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 24, 2024, 03:22:19 PMAha....

VELCRO BRAND White Stick On Fabric Tape - 19mm x 60cm - Multipurpose No-Sew Hook and Loop Fabric Adhesive with Sticky Back - Perfect Solution for Secure Repairs, Clothing & Hemming
Yes, I'm sure that would work.
On the other hand it doesn't bother me, AND to be honest I don't bother to iron the covers at all.  All I need is a firm pillow and the case, and its flap, doesn't stand a chance!
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Aha.  Having spent 6 months or so ruining the lives of drivers through Chorlton due to extensive roadworks, predominantly involving installation of bike lanes and double yellow lines (hence bankrupting several businesses who relied on short stop passing trade, and pretty much ruining a once popular shopping area) all for the benefit of the three cyclists who pass through the area, happily ignoring traffic lights as they go,...., the powers that be have decided to close down sections of the main road for several weeks at a time for resurfacing.

Heaven forbid that it occurred to anyone that it might have been a good opportunity to carry out this work during the recent works.

Such is the nature of those in office.  Can we really not find more competent people to organise the piddle up in a brewery?

klondike

Probably different departments  - improvements (at least that's how the bike lanes will be classified) and maintenance. If this gets brought to their attention they'll repurpose the maintenance department into a diversity department.

dextrous63

Oh god, please let's not have a diversity LBGQRSTUVWXYZ dept.  Red/green colour blind folks such as myself struggle as it is with some traffic signals.  Heaven only knows what new multicoloured ones they could think of to confuse us further.  

No doubt the concept of non-bi-directional traffic flow may come unto pass.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 29, 2024, 01:39:24 PMAha.  Having spent 6 months or so ruining the lives of drivers through Chorlton due to extensive roadworks, predominantly involving installation of bike lanes and double yellow lines (hence bankrupting several businesses who relied on short stop passing trade, and pretty much ruining a once popular shopping area) all for the benefit of the three cyclists who pass through the area, happily ignoring traffic lights as they go,...., the powers that be have decided to close down sections of the main road for several weeks at a time for resurfacing.

Heaven forbid that it occurred to anyone that it might have been a good opportunity to carry out this work during the recent works.

Such is the nature of those in office.  Can we really not find more competent people to organise the piddle up in a brewery?
Excellent comment.
How long will it be before these idiots begin to realise that cyclists don't use 'cycle lanes' and much prefer to use the pavements (which once were intended for the safe passage of pedestrians)?

Incidentally, I have cameras front and back in our car, just in case some self-entitled cyclist tries it on in an attempt to blame me should anything happen due to his (it's always a he) selfish behaviour.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Silver Tabby

COuncil digging up the road on my bus route! No buses in to town - had to walk half a mile - in this heat - to the next village and catch a bus there.  Same, in reverse, coming home.

Need a rub down with a bag of ice cubes and a very large, very cold Pimms!

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on July 29, 2024, 02:16:51 PMExcellent comment.
How long will it be before these idiots begin to realise that cyclists don't use 'cycle lanes' and much prefer to use the pavements (which once were intended for the safe passage of pedestrians)?

And don't forget, if, as a pedestrian, you shout at cyclist & they swerve off the pavement & under a vehicle, you'll be charged with an offence.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]