Formal list of Reform pledges

Started by JBR, June 17, 2024, 07:50:12 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Alex on June 21, 2024, 11:28:21 AMThere are no longer hereditary seats in the HoL, I'm pretty sure that was stopped years ago. 

Yes, I believe so, and that is to the good.  Why should people be given such positions simply because they were born into the 'right' family?
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

It was stoped but I think a limited number remain. Most are political appointees and for some reason there seems to be a disproportionate number of LibDems.

There may not be many sitting on a daily basis but as all they need do to collect £300 (or maybe more now) as a per dium allowance I suspect there are a lot paying a visit when they are on a doubtless expenses funded trip to the capital.

The place needs scrapping and a far smaller elected assembly set up as a vetting and revising chamber for the laws produced by the Commons.

ansu

You are right - I have just checked the internet. However, one of the Lords blamed Brussel for the abolition. 

klondike

Maybe it was. Not everything that came from Brussels was bad. Just most of it.

I doubt that was so though as Brussels would have no power to interfere in our constitutional affairs. Of course if they did it's another good reason for leaving the EU regardless of the quality of their demands.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on June 23, 2024, 03:54:36 PMMaybe it was. Not everything that came from Brussels was bad. Just most of it.

I doubt that was so though as Brussels would have no power to interfere in our constitutional affairs. Of course if they did it's another good reason for leaving the EU regardless of the quality of their demands.
Definitely.  I can never countenance our giving any control of our country to a foreign power, never mind how it is dressed up.
Numquam credere Gallicum

AnnieS

Well there's certainly a lot in this "contract", I won't need breakfast.

Main thing that strikes me is that I don't understand how all this adds up (financially).

klondike

It doesn't actually have to as Reform will not form the next government. Is that dishonest? No more so that the others who either don't spell out all their taxation plans or make up unrealistic numbers for the savings they will generate to pay for their promises.

We have a body called the Institute for Fiscal Studies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_Fiscal_Studies

They upset the apple cart the other day...

Lots of stories. Here is one..

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/national/what-is-the-ifs-and-what-is-its-view-of-the-general-election-manifestos-110768/

– What is the institute's latest intervention during the General Election campaign?

IFS director Paul Johnson led a two-hour briefing in which he and his colleagues provided an in-depth look at the challenges facing the next government and the potential impact of the manifesto pledges made by the parties.

– Is the IFS happy with the information provided by the parties?

No. The institute has said the manifestos of Labour and the Conservatives provide little information about the funding outlook for individual services, which makes it easier for them to stay silent on any cuts to unprotected budgets.

While the IFS acknowledged it did not expect the parties to outline comprehensive spending plans, it added they could have provided more details on their priorities and rough minimums or totals for different areas of spending.

Existing government departmental spending plans run until the end of March 2025, with a new comprehensive spending review expected within months of the election.

Mr Johnson said both parties have maintained a "conspiracy of silence" on their spending plans and people will be voting in a "knowledge vacuum" on July 4.

To understand our politics you have to realise that all of our politicians are blatant liars. Doubtless yours are too.

AnnieS

This doesn't add up by quite a lot though.  Most of the savings indicated will either take years of legal wrangling to be realised or will be one-off boosts with no further receipts.   I also couldn't see anything about reducing capital gains tax for landlords.  It's like lighting the blue paper on economics in a fireworks factory.

It's not realistic to assume they won't be part of any government.  Such is the strength of feeling.  Their figures have to add up at least notionally.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on June 25, 2024, 08:54:25 AMIt doesn't actually have to as Reform will not form the next government. 
I'm sure you're right, but that is the wish of the majority of the electorate.

I hope they then realise what they have done!  🤣
Numquam credere Gallicum

Raven

Quote from: JBR on June 25, 2024, 10:01:19 AMI'm sure you're right, but that is the wish of the majority of the electorate.

I hope they then realise what they have done!  🤣

Perhaps it's time to make the government change the voting system to a fair one. If the public all stood together they would be strong. Other countries governments mostly listen when the people stand up to them.
But it won't happen as our public mostly don't have a back bone.

klondike

Quote from: AnnieS on June 25, 2024, 09:54:22 AMIt's not realistic to assume they won't be part of any government.  Such is the strength of feeling.  Their figures have to add up at least notionally.
Don't forget we have first past the post and Labour have had a 20 point lead over their nearest rival since the start of the campaign.

Just sussed - you are AnnieS our favourite lurker not Alex's mate our favourite German.

AnnieS

I do have some Viking genes, but definitely not German  :smiley:  

I think there are a great number of undecided voters.  But those like me who might have been tempted to vote Reform will be put off by their emptynomics.  Reading this list is like walking into a room of popping jack-in-the-boxes.  I'm disappointed.

JBR

Quote from: AnnieS on June 25, 2024, 10:26:07 AMI do have some Viking genes, but definitely not German  :smiley: 

I think there are a great number of undecided voters.  But those like me who might have been tempted to vote Reform will be put off by their emptynomics.  Reading this list is like walking into a room of popping jack-in-the-boxes.  I'm disappointed.
Of course.

The reason why we will end up with a damaging Labour government this time is perfectly simple.
Most British voters don't know what to do!
If one of the 'main parties' fails, we simply vote for the other.
In four years, they too will fail and the good old British voters will go back to the other 'main party'.

Then they'll all wonder why neither of the 'two main parties' have managed to put things right!
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

ansu

The German - that's me and as I told you earlier our English teacher always told us that the English voting system, i.e. only having 2 parties, is much better than ours with a variety of political parties. 
What's astonishing for me is that new political parties, for instance the Liberal one, don't have a chance in participating in government.