Hungary

Started by Alex, June 13, 2024, 03:08:01 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Hungary must pay a 200-million-euro fine for not implementing changes to its policy of handling migrants and asylum seekers at its border.

Budapest's nationalist government, which has previously refused to carry out the 2020 court ruling, will also be required to pay a daily fine of one million euros ($1.08 million) until it fully implements the measures.

Will Mr Orban give in, or will we see a Hungexit  ?

klondike

I think it's more likely that von der Leyen will see a middle finger. 

Alex

If that happens how will Hungary pay ?  One million euros per day !!!!

klondike

How do we pay the £8m a day bill our dinghy boys are running up at the Ritz?

Alex

JBR

Quote from: Alex on June 13, 2024, 03:08:01 PMHungary must pay a 200-million-euro fine for not implementing changes to its policy of handling migrants and asylum seekers at its border.

Budapest's nationalist government, which has previously refused to carry out the 2020 court ruling, will also be required to pay a daily fine of one million euros ($1.08 million) until it fully implements the measures.

Will Mr Orban give in, or will we see a Hungexit  ?
Perfect.  I'd really like to see Hungary leave the corrupt EU.  I certainly wouldn't pay that fine for protecting my country.
In fact, I hope it encourages other EU countries to leave the Empire.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Diasi

Hungary holds all the cards as Orban can threaten to ally Hungary with Russia.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on June 13, 2024, 06:17:06 PMHungary holds all the cards as Orban can threaten to ally Hungary with Russia.
Well that would upset the applecart!

Actually, in the long term I'm not sure that Russia invading Europe might be to our advantage.  It would very effectively persuade the muslim invaders to go back to Africa and Asia.

Seriously, though, I'd rather live under a Russian regime than something like Iran.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

If he just lets Putin push them through which I think was part of Putin's plot a while back then Europe will sink under the weight.

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on June 13, 2024, 06:36:40 PMWell that would upset the applecart!

Actually, in the long term I'm not sure that Russia invading Europe might be to our advantage.  It would very effectively persuade the muslim invaders to go back to Africa and Asia.

Seriously, though, I'd rather live under a Russian regime than something like Iran.
Me too, I'd love to spend some time in the coldest town on earth in the far North of Russia.

I'd have happily lived under 1930s Germany rather than the country the UK is rapidly becoming today.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

muddy

You would not if you were Jewish .

klondike

I'm guessing that they won't do too well in the upcoming Caliphate either. As an atheist neither would I. As for 1930s Germany - not for me. The way things are looking 2030's Germany may not be too good either - their car industry is tanking meaning their economy may too plus Mutti swung open the doors to ruin.

Alex

White Brits are in the minority in London and Manchester, which I imagine includes Greater Manchester but nevertheless hard to believe.  Not looking good for any of us is it ?

klondike

More likely to screw us completely than the climate for sure.

ansu

Sorry I haven't been online much lately. 
As to Hungary - a Hungexit would be no good solution for Orban, as for instance many German companies have factories in Hungary and if they close or leave it could be disastrous for the Hungarian economy. So I suppose a compromise has to be found.
The reason why Orban is against "migrants" is to be found in the Hungarian history. The Hungarians are very proud and always have fought for their freedom - often in vain. 
About 15 years ago I visited Russia with my mother and my mother was quite surprised how poor people living in rural areas are. 
We also visited a so-called "museum village" and the guide told us that it's an illusion to think that people lived so comfortably as shown in this village built up for tourists. And he was right.
The 1930s - I think you forget that after WW I people were as poor as church mice - movies show life in Berlin, but Berlin is only a German city and not Germany in general. Hitler was so successful because he promised people jobs and a better life.