They can't all be gems

Started by Michael Rolls, June 09, 2024, 05:36:18 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Gloria Evans was a delivery driver. The firm for which she worked was small – just six drivers, including her, the same number of vehicles, the owner and his assistant. Although the vans bore the proud message 'No job too big, no job too small' must of the work they got tended to be on the small side, so the company, although in profit, was struggling. The struggle was reflected in the vehicles; all were bit past their best and one in particular was especially unpopular with the drivers. An ancient Ford Transit with over 200,000 miles and the clock and an engine that struggled when faced with the slightest incline, it was a miracle that it continued to pass its MOT.
Gloria had enjoyed a few days off, but when she returned to work after the weekend and looked at the rota for the day, she was dismayed at the message from her boss

'Sick Transit, Gloria, Monday'

Well, I did warn you.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

It is clever. Cleverer than me - I had to look it up  :grin:

So is your phone line fixed now?

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Scrumpy

I saw that already.. but it went over my head..
I really am thick..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I had to look it up too  :grin:  :grin:

Michael Rolls

most odd - I was convinced that coming on here then using the link to Wordle was the problem, but I have now come on here several times - ignoring Wordle - without a problem, whereas three times this week I have gone to Wordle via Goggle, Once I lost the internet whilst on the Wordle site, on the other two occasions I lost it the moment I logged off and tried to access another site.
As for the Latin - I am at one with the old schoolboy rhyme

Latin is a deadly language, as dead as dead can be
It killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me!

To be fair, I was hopeless at Latin - about the only things I can remember are sic transit gloria mundi, and a translation of 'I taut I taw a puddy cat'! which even now I can recite after 70 years (although I doubt that I could spell it all)
[email protected]

Alex

I can just about conjugate amo, amas amat etc and that's about it after 5 years of forced learning.

klondike

I did one year of Latin because I had to then dropped it for German. I'm crap at that too.

Michael Rolls

I had five years of Latin - I was hopeless - and after all that 'learning' those two things are all that stuck in the little grey cells. Anybody want Tweetie Pie's verse? (Spellings not guaranteed)
[email protected]

Alex

Quote from: klondike on June 09, 2024, 10:24:35 AMI did one year of Latin because I had to then dropped it for German. I'm crap at that too.

More useful Klondy.   :upvote:

dextrous63

Quote from: Michael Rolls on June 09, 2024, 10:28:49 AMI had five years of Latin - I was hopeless - and after all that 'learning' those two things are all that stuck in the little grey cells. Anybody want Tweetie Pie's verse? (Spellings not guaranteed)
Yes please.

Michael Rolls

Felem putaivi, me sensisse,
Insequentem me
Imo vero me sensisse,
Quam mantisseme

Which translates as

I taut I taw a puddy cat,
A creeping up on me
I did I taw dat puddy tat,
As plain as he could be!

I probably remember it because it is the only thing that ever made me laugh in Latin!
[email protected]