Our Roads are Becoming a Danger.

Started by Raven, June 05, 2024, 08:38:48 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

I know pot holes are the bain of motorists everywhere but Thurso and Wick are in serious trouble over them. I don't know why Highland Council has not sorted this, places are now no go areas as it's so bad, the Council is being sued left right and centre.
Interesting wee video on the News this morning.

BBC News - 'Welcome to the moon' - Scottish town's pothole problem - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/cgee9e4475ro

klondike

All part of tackling the climate crisis. Bugger enough cars and our emissions will go down. 

dextrous63

Aha.  A bit like the cunning plan to get waiting lists down by letting the ill die ASAP rather than treat them.  If driving over potholes can gee those with brittle bones along the road to death's door, then it's a double whammy.

Raven

Problem is.....It's very rural, it's a 3 mile walk to the village shop, same on return, no bus. 7 mile hike to the pool/Tesco or into Thurso with no bus. Lots of the hamlets on the coast road have no shops, no buses, we need our cars up here.
There is one bus between Thurso and Wick once an hour. But that's it. If I wanted it then it's the long walk to the village and the bus stop.

dextrous63

Take a leaf out of the film The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster... you could swim across every pothole full of water to the shops and back, thus saving you the need to go to the pool.  Fuel efficient, cheaper, plus you'd be prolonging the life of your vehicle.  Everyone's a winner.

Raven

dextrous63

Not in the mood Raven?  My apologies.

Scrumpy

I dread them.. My little motor is so scared of them.. she shakes..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Raven on June 05, 2024, 08:38:48 AMI know pot holes are the bain of motorists everywhere but Thurso and Wick are in serious trouble over them. I don't know why Highland Council has not sorted this, places are now no go areas as it's so bad, the Council is being sued left right and centre.
Interesting wee video on the News this morning.

BBC News - 'Welcome to the moon' - Scottish town's pothole problem - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/cgee9e4475ro
I know.  Councils have a limited budget and consequently are obliged to spend the money wisely.

Top of the list, of course, must come their own remunerations and recouping of personal costs.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Raven

Quote from: JBR on June 05, 2024, 11:48:10 AMTop of the list, of course, must come their own remunerations and recouping of personal costs.

Silly Me, I should have realised that.

Alex

Is that another SNP failure ?
It's not just Scotland though, roads everywhere are bad, my little old banger shudders, because she usually sees them before I do..

JBR

Quote from: Alex on June 05, 2024, 03:04:53 PMIs that another SNP failure ?
It's not just Scotland though, roads everywhere are bad, my little old banger shudders, because she usually sees them before I do..

Absolutely.  We seem to come across potholes wherever we travel, be it near or far.

I put it down to false economy.  Tight-fisted councils save money by having the occasional pothole filled by cowboys, who just pour in some tarmac.
Give it a few weeks and it's all fallen out or broken up.
Their motto: pay cheap, pay twice.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Mups

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 05, 2024, 09:52:54 AMI dread them.. My little motor is so scared of them.. she shakes..

Yes,  I have only got a small car too, Scrumpy,  and the blasted holes don't half rattle the wheels it if you hit one don't they.

The bigger vehicles don't seem to suffer as much as the vehicles with smaller wheels, do they.

All these politicians spouting on about immigration and the NHS,  but what about our roads too!

dextrous63

Found this on the AA website...

"Between April 2018 and December 2019, potholes have cost the UK's councils more than £3.7million in compensation. But to repair a pothole only costs around £39.80 on average. We think local authorities could have filled in around 93,923 potholes for that money.1
Edmund King, AA President, said: "In the context of pothole compensation it's a case of throwing money down a hole."
In 2023, potholes are still a major contributor to vehicle damage, with over 300,000 steering, suspension and tyre breakdown cases between January-July alone."

Surely a case of councils being penny wise, pound foolish.🙄

Raven

I don't understand why they don't fix them properly in the first place  :nooo: That cheap stuff they use lasts a few days and the hole starts to re-appear. :yell: It's no more than a sticking plaster.

This guy is standing in a pot hole that's almost up to his hips.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0434kvrp24o