What's happening ?

Started by Alex, May 22, 2024, 03:03:07 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Something is afoot !
David Cameron cuts short his visit to Albania, Grant Shapps on his way back from wherever he went :smiley:  Chancellor cancels a TV appearance tonight and a cabinet meeting has been called for 4 pm

An early election ?
Someone resigning ?
Cabinet reshuffle ?

klondike

It will be something pretty much unplanned or they wouldn't have gone in the first place so I doubt an early election. More likely they've had a preview of the immigration figures due out tomorrow and  they are even more dire than they expected.

klondike

I've just had an eMail announcing a Reform party press conference tommorrow at 11:00am which is when the immigration stats are released

That makes it seem even more likely to me that it's going to be the immigration figures and the politicos have had a preview.

JBR

By sound of it, GB News is announcing that it is likely to be an announcement of a July election.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

The story is in most papers now. July 4th apparently. So I was probably wrong about it being a panic over immigration figures. Perhaps they are down to only three quarters of a million.

Scrumpy

July 4th eh!!! Best to get it done and over with..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Just watching Nigel Farage's programme shown on GB News yesterday evening (still available online), in which he showed a bar graph of deportations of illegal immigrants over the past several years.

The numbers deported each year since Bliar were high for several years during Labour governments and then, after Cameron took over began to fall, the numbers decreasing seriously when May was the PM and down to virtually nothing today.  Of course this period included the time when we left the EU.

Although people who have seen this graph may be induced to vote for Labour, I'm sure it is a definite condemnation of the failings of the Conservative government throughout the past 24 years.

dextrous63

I am speaking to you from the Cabinet Room at 10, Downing Street. 

This morning the British Ambassador in Moscow handed the Russian Government a final Note stating that unless we heard from them by 11 0'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Ukraine a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with Russia.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on May 22, 2024, 06:04:14 PMI am speaking to you from the Cabinet Room at 10, Downing Street.

This morning the British Ambassador in Moscow handed the Russian Government a final Note stating that unless we heard from them by 11 0'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Ukraine a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with Russia.
Oh dear.
I bet the Russians are trembling in their boots.  🙄

Ashy

I came across an explanation that actually sounds reasonable.
That Mr Sunak was informed by the 1922 Committee that his backbenchers had expressed no confidence in him.

Either that or there's a catsarstrophy coming and we'd better buckle up, and it's far better for them that Starmer takes the blame.

Also Klaus Scwabb has announced his resignation too.

klondike

Just watched Sunak announcing the election on catch-up. 

Amusing to see that the weather cast it's judgement and he was soaked.

dextrous63

I hope to be abroad on 4th July, so will apply for a postal vote.

Is there anything about this being the USA's Independence Day that one should be aware of?  Just wondering why he chose that date🤷🏻�♂️

Alex

Aren't the new immigration figures out tomorrow ? Sunak wanted the election to be the headline and not the new stats.

Tony Blair tipped to replace Klaus Schwabb

Ashy

I did hear that Mr Sunak had a dream where Oliver Cromwell appeared.

dextrous63

Bring back the ever helpful
Nadine Dorris. Is she still entitled to be called Rt Hon?  Thought she'd quoted.

key tester