How sad..

Started by Scrumpy, February 05, 2024, 06:17:19 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

sad news indeed - and today is the 72nd anniversary of the death of his grandfather, George VI
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

muddy

My grandmother lived through the reigns of seven monarchs Victoria to  Elizabeth 

Many of us will have lived through three.

Most young people will live through  four max .

Michael Rolls

only three for me - just too late for Edward VII, so George VI, Elizabeth II, Charles III
OTOH 20 premierships (Churchill and Wilson twice each)
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

5 within the last 7 years and 3 within the last couple plus 1 more at least within the next year baring something miraculous.

If I've forgotten some within the last year or so apologies. So hard to keep up these days.

Scrumpy

It is all so boring now.. 
All the so called experts giving their views on the subject.. 
The palace have told us the news of his cancer.. They should have said more.. That would have shut the press up.. We will now have weeks of a guessing game going on..  and everyone is an expert.. 

If Burrell was still a royal household butler the secret would be out already..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Scrumpy

The radio this morning was all about cancer.. People phoning in telling us about the treatment.. results.. of their cancer..
Very depressing to keep hearing about it..

Raven

I expect Dr Google will be getting a lot of hits now, as the media have worried people into thinking they might have cancer. :nooo:

klondike

Forget about a doctors appointment then. Assuming one was ever on the cards anyway.

Scrumpy

Most illnesses respond to treatment better if they are caught early..

Treatment too late is the biggest killer.. 

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 06, 2024, 12:46:07 PMThe radio this morning was all about cancer.. People phoning in telling us about the treatment.. results.. of their cancer..
Very depressing to keep hearing about it..

Quite how Talk TV and GB News can commit unrelenting comment on this for 'N' hours is beyond me - almost like its The King Charles Cancer never ending subject loop! and here it comes.

Not a single attempt to talk about anything else for six solid hours! Boring never heard of disinteresting people all saying the same thing.  I'd have felt embarrassed rolling out such penitential content quite frankly. It all became rather like a Justin Welby speech on how God is a green, EU open border supporter, etc etc and get in line you 'populist' scrotes!

A modern corollary of 'revolving news' and poorly thought out online smartphone garbage I suppose?

I don't like Charlie's loopy 'green glow the electric buses blow' nett zero wacky crap, but feel rather sorry for the poor chap - 75 years in the waiting for the 'big one' and then declared offside so soon after kick - off.

Best of luck to him and I expect with all his 'queue-jumpinh' advantages a quick recovery ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

At 75 he stands a good chance of ending up as a Trivial Pursuits question.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: muddy on February 06, 2024, 06:50:34 AMMy grandmother lived through the reigns of seven monarchs Victoria to  Elizabeth

Many of us will have lived through three.

Most young people will live through  four max .
All my grandparents did, and my oldest aunt who was born in 1900. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Harry moved quickly to see his dad.. The media are speculating as usual.. Asking if Charles' condition  could be serious.. 
Some even suggesting that he, Harry, could carry out some royal duties.. Ridiculous idea seeing as he is no longer a working royal..

I hope he doesn't use this visit, at some later stage, to have yet another whinge about the family.. 

klondike

From what I heard he spent a whole 45 minutes consoling his dear old dad. A proper reconcilliation at last.

ansu

Sad news really. However, last week I watched a documentary on TV on the treatment of cancer and there have been made enormous progresses, so I hope and wish that Charles III will be one of the "happy ones". 
As to the early retirement of European monarchs - Beatrix of the Netherlands and Margret from Denmark are some examples.