Challenge of the Day.

Started by Diasi, January 23, 2024, 08:31:45 AM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

Thanks for the explanation Cass.  I had no problem with the sentence, it made sense given the perpetrator's state of mind. What I have a problem with is his not being in a psych hospital prior to these horrific killings.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Thanks for making that clearer Cass.   I assume this person will arrive up here at Ashworth Hospital, all the bad beggars end up here.  One good thing nobody has ever escaped from Ashworth.

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on January 26, 2024, 08:21:12 PMThanks for the explanation Cass.  I had no problem with the sentence, it made sense given the perpetrator's state of mind. What I have a problem with is his not being in a psych hospital prior to these horrific killings. 

I nearly added that as a 'rider', therein lies the true crime, somewhere in between woke and civil service inertia.

January 26, 2024, 08:59:28 PM
Quote from: Alex on January 26, 2024, 08:37:16 PMThanks for making that clearer Cass.   I assume this person will arrive up here at Ashworth Hospital, all the bad beggars end up here.  One good thing nobody has ever escaped from Ashworth.

I lost a school friend in 1956 to a callous murderer in similar circumstances. I lived along a different road with a third friend which was all that saved me/us. We were 'Cub's - returning home from a bring & buy sale in Ilford. Malcolm Lockwood was the 11 year old's name ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

Thanks Cass.  As always, a clear explanation of how courts have to work within the constraints of the available laws to the best of its ability and judgement.

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 26, 2024, 09:12:28 PMThanks Cass.  As always, a clear explanation of how courts have to work within the constraints of the available laws to the best of its ability and judgement.
It's an excellent clear explanation of laws that aren't fit for purpose & need to be changed.

All this rubbish about not knowing what he was doing is just that, rubbish.

He knew exactly what he was doing as it was meticulously pre-planned, including refusing to take his medication.

The law needs to be changed so that people with severe dangerous mental health issues are euthanised if they fail to comply with the requirement to take their medication or keep committing acts of violence.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

But you know as well as I do that the failure/refusal to take one's meds is part of the condition in itself.  Can easily imagine that being thrown into the defence pot.

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 27, 2024, 08:19:10 AMBut you know as well as I do that the failure/refusal to take one's meds is part of the condition in itself.  Can easily imagine that being thrown into the defence pot.
I disagree with that because at the time the person knows what will happen if they stop taking their medication so they do it with full knowledge of the consequences.

If your assessment is correct & the person doesn't know what will happen if they stop taking their medication then that's an even more compelling reason to have them euthanised.

These nutters are kept alive at the expense of other people's lives.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Luckily there aren't all that many. Far more likely to get killed on the street by a mugger or jihadi these days so no need to worry. Just wear your stab vest and running shoes or don't go out.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on January 27, 2024, 08:33:53 AMLuckily there aren't all that many. Far more likely to get killed on the street by a mugger or jihadi these days so no need to worry. Just wear your stab vest and running shoes or don't go out.
But not luckily for the three he killed.

I realise that some people will disagree with euthanising this dangerous nutter but, by default, they're actually saying that the killings of these three people is a price worth paying for keeping him alive.
[email protected]

klondike

I'd say top him but we all know it isn't going to happen.

JBR

I still maintain that the best option for punishing murderers is the rope.
Most murderers don't have this mental problem as an 'excuse'; they do it because they want to for various reasons: revenge, removing their enemies, etc.
Hanging doesn't require expensive chemicals, expensive electricity, or anything expensive, only a rope and an expert hangman and his time.

If it is known that a person is mentally unstable and has made any such actions or threats, that is when he should be incarcerated in an appropriate place.  Unless the experts are completely certain that he has been 'cured' he should never leave.
If he is then released and kills again, hang him.  He's had his chance.
'A life for a life'.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Scrumpy

Diminished Responsibility..
Am I correct in thinking that there are more people on our streets with this problem.. !!
We had village idiots  and the nutter in the next town.. But DR seems to be a disease that is spreading amongst murderers..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Quote from: Diasi on January 27, 2024, 08:22:39 AMI disagree with that because at the time the person knows what will happen if they stop taking their medication so they do it with full knowledge of the consequences.

If your assessment is correct & the person doesn't know what will happen if they stop taking their medication then that's an even more compelling reason to have them euthanised.

These nutters are kept alive at the expense of other people's lives.

No point arguing with me Diasi.  I thing Cass has indicated that anything other than being in complete control of one's faculties it likely to reduce the charge to manskaughter.  That's the way I'm reading it.  Feel free to bluntly correct me if I'm in error.  I've taken my meds, so will be able to take it.😬😉

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 27, 2024, 11:35:02 AMNo point arguing with me Diasi.  I thing Cass has indicated that anything other than being in complete control of one's faculties it likely to reduce the charge to manskaughter.  That's the way I'm reading it.  Feel free to bluntly correct me if I'm in error.  I've taken my meds, so will be able to take it.😬😉
I'm not arguing with you & you can see by my reply to Cass that I agree that his explanation of the law is totally correct.

However, Cass has explained the law as it stands but, in my opinion, is not fit for purpose & needs to be changed.

If a person does not have any control over their faculties then yes, by all means call it manslaughter, but the law should be changed to allow for them to be put down to protect the rest of us.
[email protected]

dextrous63

We are in total agreement Diasi.