Challenge of the Day.

Started by Diasi, January 23, 2024, 08:31:45 AM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: ansu on January 26, 2024, 09:44:57 AMOur pupils are told to call them "coloured people".
You can't call a black person coloured as black is a shade, not a colour, which is why blacks, pre political correctness, were often called 'Shady'.

Whites can't be called coloured as white is a shade which is why we were often called 'Whitey'.

Chinese can be called coloured as yellow is a colour.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: ansu on January 26, 2024, 09:44:57 AMOur pupils are told to call them "coloured people".
Well yes, but I'm a coloured person.  I'm coloured pink!
I have always thought that it's rather silly.  'Black' is not a naughty word.  They use that same word themselves.

January 26, 2024, 12:06:22 PM
Quote from: Diasi on January 26, 2024, 08:28:05 AMYes, my reply was in the same vein,  :grin: but, as a paying member of the Free Speech Union, it did raise the point about how careful we have to be about what we say in this once free country.

Anyway, thank goodness the Yanks have still got the bottle to do what needs to be done.

http://tinyurl.com/3vny47hs

I have mentioned before that I believe that the only fair punishment for murder is death.  If we want to be nice and civilised about it, I think a quick injection into a blood vessel - exactly as was done to our cats when they have become very ill - is quick and painless (or I understand that it is).  Our cats have just faded away peacefully without any stress.

On the other hand, is such a pleasant death appropriate?  If a murderer has caused death with a great deal of pain, shouldn't he suffer exactly the same?
Oh dear, no!  We must show that we are more civilised than them!  🙄
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on January 26, 2024, 11:55:17 AMChinese can be called coloured as yellow is a colour.  :grin:
Only this guy and his family are really yellow though...

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on January 26, 2024, 12:01:02 PMWell yes, but I'm a coloured person.  I'm coloured pink!
I have always thought that it's rather silly.  'Black' is not a naughty word.  They use that same word themselves.

January 26, 2024, 12:06:22 PMI have mentioned before that I believe that the only fair punishment for murder is death.  If we want to be nice and civilised about it, I think a quick injection into a blood vessel - exactly as was done to our cats when they have become very ill - is quick and painless (or I understand that it is).  Our cats have just faded away peacefully without any stress.

On the other hand, is such a pleasant death appropriate?  If a murderer has caused death with a great deal of pain, shouldn't he suffer exactly the same?
The anti-death penalty morons in the USA talk a load of deliberate rubbish to try & get the executions stopped.

E.g. a person will twitch in the electric chair long after they are dead, a frog's leg will twitch if a voltage is sent through the muscle.

Nitrogen is being used in Switzerland as a method of assisted suicide. 
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

I'm surprised that helium isn't being used as it's supposed to be an increasingly popular way of committing suicide due to it not being very traumatic.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 26, 2024, 01:59:10 PMI'm surprised that helium isn't being used as it's supposed to be an increasingly popular way of committing suicide due to it not being very traumatic.
Perhaps the production of helium is more expensive that nitrogen!

No, I'd rather go with whatever cats use.  They certainly seem to just drift off.  No twitching, etc.

klondike

A general anaesthetic is considered fine for operations. If instead of having bits cut and repaired their throat was cut the "patient" would be none the wiser.

One of the problems is that the producers of the various gases and injectables won't supply the US authorities who adaopted their various odd methods of execution on supposed humanitarian grounds. I'd doubt that rope makers or sellers of bullets would be so squeamish. If they want to execute and are having problems they need to go low tech and change their laws to allow the older methods.

January 26, 2024, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: JBR on January 26, 2024, 02:16:41 PMNo, I'd rather go with whatever cats use.  They certainly seem to just drift off.  No twitching, etc.
They use sedatives followed by a high dose of a barbiturate to euthenase animals. It's why vets get broken into by junkies.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on January 26, 2024, 02:37:28 PMA general anaesthetic is considered fine for operations. If instead of having bits cut and repaired their throat was cut the "patient" would be none the wiser.

One of the problems is that the producers of the various gases and injectables won't supply the US authorities who adaopted their various odd methods of execution on supposed humanitarian grounds. I'd doubt that rope makers or sellers of bullets would be so squeamish. If they want to execute and are having problems they need to go low tech and change their laws to allow the older methods.

January 26, 2024, 02:41:35 PMThey use sedatives followed by a high dose of a barbiturate to euthenase animals. It's why vets get broken into by junkies.
Absolutely.  I still believe that hanging by the neck until dead is perfectly acceptable and usually instant death if done properly.

I didn't know that information about vets.  Thanks.  As for murderers, I think I'd safe the cost of any sedatives.

klondike

I knew it was the case but then checked Google as I often thought I've known lots of things and found I didn't if you are interested it will tell you the specific drug used.

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on January 26, 2024, 02:16:41 PMPerhaps the production of helium is more expensive that nitrogen!

No, I'd rather go with whatever cats use.  They certainly seem to just drift off.  No twitching, etc.
Do they play a cd of the turnips big ideas?  That'd make all known living organisms pass out and away somewhat effectively?

Raven

Why do you call Azz the turnip? I can't see any connection and BTW, I love mashed turnip n butter.  :busted:

klondike

You knew exactly who he meant though....

dextrous63

Which other vegetative matter would you prefer I call the little swede?

Google "turnip pejorative" and there'll be lots of explanations.  Take your pick.

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on January 26, 2024, 12:01:02 PMWell yes, but I'm a coloured person.  I'm coloured pink!

January 26, 2024, 12:06:22 PMI have mentioned before that I believe that the only fair punishment for murder is death.  If we want to be nice and civilised about it, I think a quick injection into a blood vessel - exactly as was done to our cats when they have become very ill - is quick and painless (or I understand that it is).  Our cats have just faded away peacefully without any stress.

Against much Public opinion I believe the sentence passed down on Calocane, by Justice Turner  was entirely correct. Nottingham Crown Court heard he had previously been detained in hospital four times under mental health laws and had a history of refusing his medication.

Calocane was also arrested for assaulting a police officer in September 2021, involved in criminal damage and once visited MI5 headquarters to ask them to stop "controlling him".

The Judge will also have had other reports. As a sentencer he had three ways to go , firstly the Mental Health Act section 41, the one he selected which enabled him to pass an 'indeterminate' sentence but was as his Lordship stated in his opening address 'likely to result in you being held in a high security hospital for the rest of your life. Being subject to a section 41 order also gives the Justice Secretary or a first tier tribunal, the power to block his release on the grounds that he is assessed to still be a risk to the public.

He could have selected to sentence under section 45(a) of the same act. Here he could prescribe a term in the same high security prison and then were (Calocane) considered to be 'cured' at any time thereafter to serve the remainder of his sentence in an ordinary prison. These occurrences are known as 'Hybrid Orders'. An important difference as the route the judge selected gives the convicted far less 'wiggle' room for freedom. He chose to avoid section 37, of the Mental Health Act 1983 too. This entitles an offender to a review of their mental health on each three year anniversary, where release is achievable if 'doctors' assess that they have recovered and are of sound mind.

Turner thoughtfully I felt bypassed that route to relief in sentence and passed the responsibility for future freedom to this killer far further up the chain of authority. Politicians don't like the nakedness created by not having any hacks to blame or lean on and generally tend to play safe and keep the locks shut.

Clearly Calocane was mentally incapable as his previous history shows. Look at it from the other end of the lens. Could 'Murder' be proven when some of the accused mental health background exists within Public view. I believe not, so therefore this despicable elemental needed to be locked away for good.

What is angering some is that the term murder is not referred to in sentencing, where the word 'killings' has been utilised and somewhere the charge has been downgraded to 'manslaughter' ?

I have in the past many times referred to 'mens rea'  for those who are not everyday Latin users this means  "the act is not culpable unless the mind is guilty".

It would have been 'unsafe' to determine 'Murder' in this case therefore. A judge's prime value is to hear the case and then sentence the accused (if found guilty) to  a proportionate punishment, but must protect the public in cases involving loss of life (no matter how caused) as a prime consideration.

Justic Turner was right, right and right therefore on all counts, in my opinion and his 'summing up' before sentence was balanced and rationally delivered.

So the debate is would sentencing a Murder charge have collapsed under the disclosure of medical evidence from the defence - Unquestionably yes, establishing 'mens rea' axiomatically as a corollary. This reality, saved a lot of money for lawyers (precociously supported on this forum), having a second go at Manslaughter, which is what correctly was enacted.

Disappointingly for the 'off with his head' brigade and the family who wanted this deranged lunatic branded as an outright slayer ~ sensibility 'within the terms of the law as written' prevailed.

Sometimes the end does justify the means ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Obviously, I fully accept your explanation, Cass.
I have no legal training so I can understand from what you say, which of course I accept as completely valid, that the judge really had no choice in the matter.

As long as the animal is put away for life, I suppose that will have to do.  At least he will be well away from civilisation which is the important thing.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the matter.  Should Marge ever ask me about this, I shall know exactly what to tell her (though I'll have to pretend that I'm not reading it from here)!