car ownership

Started by Michael Rolls, January 22, 2024, 07:04:24 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

talking on the phone to Mary, my s-i-l. she mentioned that her car had made funny noises on the way back from Victoria's funeral so is booked into the garage. I knew that she has had it a while but when I asked was surprised to learn she has had it for 15 years, and it wasn't new when she bought it. Then she told me that is only the third car that she has ever owned - and she has been driving for 52 years!
She started driving at 17, but it was a while, but not very long, before she had a car of her own. I could neither afford nor need a car until I was 30 - 56 years ago. In that time I have owned 21 cars and 2 motorhomes, done a lot of driving in the 3 cars owned by Susan, my first wife and Veronica's 5, plus courtesy and hire cars. Over the years I must have drive something like 50-60 cars of one sort or another, no idea how far I have driven, except that it must be over a million miles - wonder how others compare?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Our car is 15 years old, less than 40k on the clock.  We've had it about five years, it was a good buy through the small garage owner who has done our repairs and MOTs for years.  

I couldn't tell you how many cars we've had.  I didn't drive til I was in my thirties, I've had two, when we both needed a car.  OH has driven since his teens, used to do his own repairs, he must have had around a dozen, and he clocked up some mileage when he was working in clubs, all over the UK.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

dextrous63

We're still able to replace our car and buy from new every 3-4 years.  No doubt there'll come a time when this isn't possible.

Think the best car we ever had was an M reg Mondeo.

Before that I started off with a rusty Golf (which I learned most of my mechanical skills on, and was bashed about a bit while I finessed the art of driving🤭), then a fiesta, two mondeos, focus estate, Picasso, two C1's, 2 Aygo's and now an Aygo X.  We also had a second hand punto.

Mrs Dex tended to drive the new cars and I used the hand-me-downs as I usually did the dirty work😉😬😬

Since downgrading to a 1-car couple, I miss having a vehicle which it doesn't matter if it gets filled with rubbish and timber.  Having said that, the amount we've saved is phenomenal and far outstrips any taxis and/or delivery costs we've had to incur.

Scrumpy

I didn't pass my test until I was 53.. The year Sam died.. I knew I had to be mobile..
My Peugeot is 22 years old.. She has never let me down... She doesn't know how to reverse park though. :nooo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

what do you  expect - she's French and we all know the French NEVER retreat  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
[email protected]

Raven

I usually change my car around every 3 years, but I've had this Yeti for 4 years so far. I want another one the same make but petrol I hate diesel since that damn DPF was added to them, and a bit younger than the one I've got just now, she's a ten plate. Problem is, they are hard to get as people hang on to them once they get one. I passed my test at 18, I've always loved cars and couldn't wait to start driving.

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 22, 2024, 09:48:47 AMwhat do you  expect - she's French and we all know the French NEVER retreat  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
🤣🤣🤣
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

GrannyMac

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 22, 2024, 09:13:35 AMI didn't pass my test until I was 53.. The year Sam died.. I knew I had to be mobile..
My Peugeot is 22 years old.. She has never let me down... She doesn't know how to reverse park though. :nooo:
My daughter in law usually drives their bigger car, ferrying kids, dogs, shopping.   Its got a screen that shows a picture of the parking space as you back into it.  It's brilliant!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

My daughter has one of those screens too. I didn't like it and still used my mirrors when I drove her wee car.  :embarrassed:

Alex

I've been driving for over 50 years, here and in Germany.  I once had a temporary job as a delivery driver for Boots, collecting and delivering all over the Wirral and Cheshire.  The car I have now is 18 years old, a Fiesta and it's been a brilliant car it was only 18 months old when I bought it.

I've only had one bad accident (touch wood) in a Ford Granada and that was on black ice when I slid across the road on a bend.  My ex was drunk in the front seat and he pushed out the windscreen with his head - he didn't feel a thing ! 

I don't know how many cars I've had in 50 years, probably about 10
Rabbit rabbit..... :smiley:

Scrumpy

Quote from: Alex on January 22, 2024, 01:00:54 PMMy ex was drunk in the front seat and he pushed out the windscreen with his head - he didn't feel a thing ! 

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
My first husband Harry liked a drink..
He came home one night .. walked up the garden path.. veered to the right .. went over the low garden wall ,down a small bank into neighbours garden ending up in her prized Lilly of the Valley where he slept for the rest of the night..
He too didn't feel a thing.. :grin: :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

🤣🤣🤣🤣Love it.

Going to bed for the night.  The flower bed🤣🤣

Ashy

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 22, 2024, 09:48:47 AMwhat do you  expect - she's French and we all know the French NEVER retreat  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Lucky it wasn't Italian then.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]