Vanity of vanities….Would you?

Started by dextrous63, January 06, 2024, 09:18:37 PM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

I've no problems with anaesthetics, as was confirmed by my recent op.

£3k breakdown is around £250 for a consultation, £150 for the surgeon, similar amount for anaesthetist, and the rest for the use of a private hospital's facilities.

klondike

Quote from: JBR on January 08, 2024, 12:17:52 PMPersonally, if it bothers you, I'd have it out.
But £3grand?
They know there is no D.I.Y. option  :grin:

JBR

Quote from: klondike on January 08, 2024, 01:39:45 PMThey know there is no D.I.Y. option  :grin:
Well, there is still the NHS option, but you can be waiting for many years.
I'm sure some people die before receiving the necessary treatment for their illnesses.

On a more general matter, I often read about how healthcare works in other European countries, and no doubt in most western countries.

I believe that we should convert our healthcare system to what all of those countries do: a system whereby it is paid for by individuals and their contributory health insurance, but supported by central government authorities especially for those with long-term illnesses who would find it difficult to obtain insurance.

I'm not fully conversant with the actual running of their systems, but they seem to work far better than our dangerously dysfunctional NHS.  I may be proved wrong, but the NHS also seems to be overwhelmed by the most senior people in charge, who are not even medically qualified yet seem to make all the decisions.

I have mentioned before the TV series about the London Hospital at the turn of the 20th century, where the place was run (very efficiently) by a board comprising the senior consultants plus one 'hospital secretary'.  The impression I get now is that such numbers are probably completely reversed in numbers.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

xiphoidectomy is very rarely going to be considered as a necesssary treatment within the NHS.  From what I can find out, it's unlikely that private health insurance would pay out for it.