What's the betting...

Started by klondike, October 11, 2023, 10:01:57 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

... that this was an electric car?

Luton airport car park fire

Shocking footage has emerged of a vehicle going up in flames at London Luton Airport, before the huge inferno that caused a car park to collapse, cancelling all flights and leaving five people in hospital.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service spent some 12 hours battling the inferno at the airport's £20m Terminal Car Park 2 after the multi-storey was engulfed by flames and caved in just before 9pm last night, damaging as many as 1,200 vehicles.

A post by the airport last night suggested the fire started in a single car, but did not give further details. The fire service said just before 9am that the blaze had been controlled and extinguished.

The fire service said up to 1,200 vehicles may have been in the car park - which charges £67.50 per day - at the time of the fire and subsequently damaged, with pictures showing many charred and covered in debris.

For those who had not already made their way to Luton, they are waking up to the prospect of hours of delays too, with no flights before 3pm, and the airport urging passengers to contact their airline for the latest information.

Last night, vehicle alarms and loud explosions were heard as cars were burned through one by one, with a witness describing the speed in which the blaze tore through the newly-built car park's upper floor as 'incredible'.

Five people were rushed to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation following an incident that saw more than 100 firefighters on the scene, aided by 15 rescue pumps and three aerial appliances.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12618033/started-London-Luton-car-park-fire-moment.html

Raven

According to The Breakfast Show it was an electric car.  :shh:

Diasi

'Mr Hopkinson also ruled out speculation that it was started by an electric vehicle.'

Although the article says it wasn't an EV I'll take some convincing because the establishment will be desperate to keep it under wraps.

It's stated that it was a diesel Range Rover vehicle but it's highly improbable that it would catch fire when parked & even if it did it wouldn't suddenly explode as this car did.

If it was a Range Rover I would think it's a hybrid.

It has all the hallmarks of a Lithium battery thermal runaway explosion.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

I bet the insurance companies are having a hissy fit, wonder how many claims they will be able to wriggle out of paying. Because wriggle they will.  :boo:

JBR

It sounds like they are doing their best to cover up that it was an EV.
After all, the government is pushing them (not actually, but pushing their sales!) and would like everyone to buy them in order 'to stop global warming'!

Personally, I think the safest thing to do would be to set aside certain areas uniquely for EVs - preferably the top floor or, better, completely separate car parks, at least until people eventually realise that they are expensive, have a short range, and dangerous to be in!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I must admit that I didn't read much of the article. My immediate thought without any evidence at all is that it was an electric car. Bit like a stabbing in London. What do you immediately assume.  It's obvious why in both cases.

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on October 11, 2023, 11:12:50 AMIt sounds like they are doing their best to cover up that it was an EV.
After all, the government is pushing them (not actually, but pushing their sales!) and would like everyone to buy them in order 'to stop global warming'!

Personally, I think the safest thing to do would be to set aside certain areas uniquely for EVs - preferably the top floor or, better, completely separate car parks, at least until people eventually realise that they are expensive, have a short range, and dangerous to be in!
Yes, they'll say, correctly, it was a diesel car but they'll miss out the hybrid part.

A fully electric Range Rover, if that's what it was, isn't available yet.

October 11, 2023, 11:19:39 AM
Quote from: Raven on October 11, 2023, 11:11:04 AMI bet the insurance companies are having a hissy fit, wonder how many claims they will be able to wriggle out of paying. Because wriggle they will.  :boo:
I bet there are 'All cars are parked at the owner's risk' notices.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Oh you climate change sceptics. Perhaps you'll enjoy this story which I haven't fully read either....

Concentrations of atmospheric CO₂ have been in long-term decline since the start of the cretaceous period. Science tells us that the threshold below which plant life can no longer perform photosynthesis and at which all plant life will cease stands at around 150 parts per million (ppm) of atmospheric CO₂.

It's time to end the famine and increase the one component of the atmosphere that is definitively 'green'. Save the planet from the 150 ppm 'extinction line!' Go CO₂↑

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/10/10/enough-is-enough/

Diasi

[email protected]

Raven

Scrumpy

Or it could be that Muhammad cocked up got the timer wrong..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: klondike on October 11, 2023, 11:20:28 AMOh you climate change sceptics. Perhaps you'll enjoy this story which I haven't fully read either....

Concentrations of atmospheric CO₂ have been in long-term decline since the start of the cretaceous period. Science tells us that the threshold below which plant life can no longer perform photosynthesis and at which all plant life will cease stands at around 150 parts per million (ppm) of atmospheric CO₂.

It's time to end the famine and increase the one component of the atmosphere that is definitively 'green'. Save the planet from the 150 ppm 'extinction line!' Go CO₂↑

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/10/10/enough-is-enough/

I'm sure that many others, as well as myself, have pointed out that all vegetation on this planet 'breathes' CO2 and cannot survive without it.

Yet, here we have the 'greenies' (and the trendy government of course) who insist that we MUST reduce CO2 in the atmosphere.

How incredibly stupid can they get?

This is exacerbated, at least in this country, by the increasing demand for more housing (at the expense of fields and the countryside) in order to house our increasing population which, of course, is caused mainly by unwanted and unneeded immigration.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 11, 2023, 12:48:54 PMOr it could be that Muhammad cocked up got the timer wrong..

Bit early Scrumpy, it seems Friday is to be a day of Jihad.  Khalid Mashal from Hammas has called for this from the safety of his home in Quatar. 

Michael Rolls

when was the last time anyone heard of a 'diesel' car igniting spontaneously? I never have - but I have heard of electric vehicles so doing.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Diesel fuel isn't even flammible.

https://www.anl.gov/article/7-things-you-might-not-know-about-diesel#:~:text=If%20you%20toss%20a%20lit,sustained%20flame%20to%20ignite%20diesel.

2. If you toss a lit match into a puddle of diesel fuel, it'll go out.
That's because diesel is much less flammable than gasoline. In a car, it takes intense pressure or sustained flame to ignite diesel. On the other hand, if you toss a match into a pool of gasoline, it won't even touch the surface — it ignites the vapors above the surface. (Please don't do this at home!)