Oh for pity's sake

Started by Michael Rolls, September 07, 2023, 07:19:44 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 08, 2023, 09:38:47 AMThere are several solutions which spring to mind.

1. Build sufficient Nuclear power stations to turn the wind turbines manually via big fan belts😬

2.  Build sufficient Nuclear power stations to power a load of office fans which will generate enough wind to turn the turbines (simultaneously, these office fans will help cool the planet)

3.  Only allow 0.41% of the population to have access to any electricity at any one time, thus demonstrating that the turbines are producing 100% of demand.
👍  Excellent!
Numquam credere Gallicum

Ashy

I'm not an expert on these matters but we have had nuclear powered submarines for decades, why don't we use some of those reactors on shore? They must be safe and an established design.

Alex

What happened to the mini nuclear reactor idea ?  that's all gone quiet.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on September 08, 2023, 10:33:19 AMI'm not an expert on these matters but we have had nuclear powered submarines for decades, why don't we use some of those reactors on shore? They must be safe and an established design.
Of course we could.  Rolls Royce have suggested their SMR designs - virtually the same as those presently in use in submarines, so already designed and working efficiently - could be used in large numbers.

Even if we installed these in the numbers already in use in nuclear-powered submarines, they would provide for several cities around the country.

As they are already tried and tested, it surprises me that the government (the civil service) is still ignoring the sensible move to adopt them right now and, instead, insists on planting ever more windmills all over the place.
Are they just a bit dim?  (Silly question.  We all know they are.)
Numquam credere Gallicum

Alex

Thinking about it, I imagine security would be an issue, perhaps that's holding things up.

klondike

Quote from: Ashy on September 08, 2023, 09:50:12 AMThey've even fired up the coal power stations.
I thought they were in the process of being decommissioned and were spared just for last winter. Must have changed their minds.

Ashy

Just checked output
wind 130 MW
coal 460 MW
gas 15,260 MW.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on September 08, 2023, 02:35:33 PMJust checked output
wind 130 MW
coal 460 MW
gas 15,260 MW.
Wind = peanuts
Yet our glorious leaders see it as the answer to all our problems.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

:upvote: :upvote: :upvote: Misguided fools the lot of them.