The boring thread.....

Started by Scrumpy, July 18, 2023, 11:58:08 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

Boiler fired up , heating comes on but no hot water.  (Heating is on off of course.)  I've got a funny set up here, years ago the hot water was always boiling, so the plumber put a thermostat on the hot water tank in cupboard in my bedroom.  This is connected to a socket with a timer plugged in - like you'd use to switch on an immersion or a lamp.  So this timer is set to the same times as the boiler downstairs.

I bought a new timer yesterday thinking it might be that, but it obviously wasn't as no hot water. 
I'll have to phone Scottish Power tomorrow, same thing happened last year.  My only moan is the £100 call out charge !!! :boo:

dextrous63

Ho hum indeed.  I assume you've checked the socket itself works, and the fuse in the plug hasn't blown.

klondike

That does sound odd. Hope whoever comes out understands it.

Alex

Plug is ok as there's a little blue box next to tank and it lights up, so know it's not the plug.
The plumber has retired unfortunately ! 

I just took the plug out and the timer thing is very warm🥵.

klondike

It it was me I'd take the wires out of the thermostat and connect them together to see if it fires up the boiler. It's a mystery to me why it is connected to power. Thermostats are usually just a bimetallic switch.

Scrumpy

I hate it if anything goes wrong with heating /water/tv.. 
I do have cover for heating and water.. And my mate , down the road is a plumber.. I make sure that my back is covered.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I took out several different boiler policies but every time after the first year the price spiralled. I just wing it now, If it busts and I can't fix it myself I'll have to hope I can get somebody quick and pay for it.

I'm wondering it it is just a thermostat and not a thermostatically controlled valve to shut off the heating water from the boiler. If so it has probably stuck closed.

Alex

Plumbing has always been a mystery to me  :grin: 

dextrous63

Alex

Scrumpy

It's going to be a scorcher here today.. I'm staying at home..

Where is Michael.. ?  He doesn't seem to be posting much..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Seems to be confining himself to the games.

A scorcher eh? I wonder if I'll be able to use the ceiling fan I put up the year before last for the first time. I didn't need it in the hottest may on record and that's for sure.

Vlad

I know I shouldn't post this, but I am so weak.....

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGegobPoH/
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

dextrous63

klondike