Our New Shell Energy Prices From 1st July

Started by Diasi, June 29, 2023, 01:24:39 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

But the standing charges are not being reduced!!!!!

Your electricity rates are changing from 32.364p to 29.262p per kWh. Your electricity standing charge per day will remain the same at 55.60p.
Your gas rates are changing from 10.243p per kWh to 7.439p per kWh. Your gas standing charge per day will remain the same at 29.11p.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

I was advised by Octopus that the cottage I maintain in Aldburgh Suffolk, was having a below cap price nett of 33.01 kw hr for electricity, with a daily standing charge 45.62p.

Gas to be 10.24p per kw hr nett, with a daily standing charge 29.62p.

They are very proud of these greedy numbers, applicable from July the 1st.

Fortunately I might only visit once a year, but prices it seems are breaking up in the UK.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

Quote from: Diasi on June 29, 2023, 01:24:39 PMBut the standing charges are not being reduced!!!!!

Your electricity rates are changing from 32.364p to 29.262p per kWh. Your electricity standing charge per day will remain the same at 55.60p.
Your gas rates are changing from 10.243p per kWh to 7.439p per kWh. Your gas standing charge per day will remain the same at 29.11p.

We're with Shell too. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I was put on Octopus after my supplier went bust. They haven't sent me any notification but google throws up a page that shows their rates for those paying by DD in all regions from July

I still don't actually know what mine will be though as I don't know if I'm classed as Midlands or East Midlands and there is nothing I can see in my account details or past bills that tells me. 

Diasi

I don't understand why the costs should vary according to where you live.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Diasi

Well top marks for whoever dreamed up that explanation. Lol  :upvote:
[email protected]

klondike

Yep. It's dearer in some areas because the producers in those areas charge more. A complete explanation.

Jacqueline

Quote from: Diasi on June 29, 2023, 05:33:53 PMI don't understand why the costs should vary according to where you live.
I didn't understand that either until I set up an online electric account on behalf of my son who has no internet.  We are both with Eon Next, he is in Devon and paying more than I am in Wales.

When I compare heating oil prices online they always ask for your postcode so I suppose this is the same.

Alex

I notice Mersey region and North Wales have the highest standing charge on Klondy's list and overall highest charges, more than London !  how does that work ?. :waiting: 

klondike

Quote from: Jacqueline on June 29, 2023, 08:39:49 PMWhen I compare heating oil prices online they always ask for your postcode so I suppose this is the same.
Fuel prices also vary and by quite large amounts between places quite close together. Kettering is about 15 miles fron Northampton yet average fuel price is always about 3p a litre cheaper in Kettering. It was also cheaper by about the same 3p in the Kings Lynn area.

Diasi

I can understand prices varying for fuel that has to be transported by road, but not transported by cables & pipes.

The argument about where the power is generated is just too ridiculous for words as all electricity & gas is fed through a national grid so someone in London could be using power generated in Scotland or imported from Norway, France, Belgium etc.
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on June 30, 2023, 07:55:18 AMI can understand prices varying for fuel that has to be transported by road
Two towns less than 20miles apart both served by decent road links and a 3p a litre difference? Same difference between one of those towns (mine) and Kings Lynne which has crappy road links yet is the cheaper.

Electricity - yes nutty.

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on June 29, 2023, 05:33:53 PMI don't understand why the costs should vary according to where you live.

I believe its based upon the Oil Industry practice of having 'Zones'. In their case 'inner, outer and General', based upon mileages from either refineries, or terminals, supplied via the 'UK Pipeline'.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

Quote from: Cassandra on June 30, 2023, 02:19:54 PMI believe its based upon the Oil Industry practice of having 'Zones'. In their case 'inner, outer and General', based upon mileages from either refineries, or terminals, supplied via the 'UK Pipeline'.
Funny how shops such as Asda, Tesco etc don't have the same policy, even when they sell petrol.