High IQ ?

Started by Alex, April 18, 2023, 02:19:42 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Apology accepted.  :grin:

dextrous63

No, your logic is in error

klondike

Ok then perhaps we shouldn't have more quizzes but I though it livened the place up.

dextrous63

Maybe if we started with some easier ones...

A man is looking at the portrait of a family member.  When asked who it is, he said:

Brothers and Sisters, I have none
But that man's father is my father's son.

Who is it a portrait of?

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on April 21, 2023, 12:06:07 PMAnyway back to the important stuff...

Quardrupling to 6 hens we get 6  hens laying 6 eggs in the day and a half allowed. So in 7 days we get 24 eggs and 6 hens part way to producing another egg each. This suggests an error on the part of the questioner to me.

We should have more of these quizzes  :grin:

Couldn't we settle for 84 1/2 eggs?

klondike

There is a great deal of interpretation involved when considering half eggs and half chickens.

Now I had assumed these to be purely maths teacher hypothetical chickens of the type any student in History of American Art would be taught about but if they are real world chickens of the type a more normal fellow would expect then an alternate approach is possible.

In the real world half a chicken may feature with chips but in no way will it be laying any eggs. Equally half an egg wouldn't be an egg cut in half but one half way through the production process.

Given that the half chicken can be excluded when considering eggs and the egg and a half produced by the chicken and a half in a day and a half becomes far closer to the real world chicken egg production rate of one egg per day and the result of the question is then that 42 eggs are indeed produced by 6 hens in 7 days all being well.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

My son keeps chickens. Rehomed ones. Only one left now of the last batch. You can't get a fresh lot til she has gone to the great battery in the sky. Pecking order is a real thing for chickens. Well whole ones anyway.

Cassandra

A truly sententious question :wink:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

In the replies stakes it, along with subsequent discussion,  has beaten any puzzle crabby posted by a goodly margin. I firmly belief that a degree on insanity stops you going mad.

dextrous63

Don't suppose there's a chance of an actual answer !

klondike

I suppose there isn't. Hey ho I shall try to curb my intense disappointment.

Scrumpy

Quote from: dextrous63 on April 21, 2023, 03:45:03 PMMaybe if we started with some easier ones...

A man is looking at the portrait of a family member.  When asked who it is, he said:

Brothers and Sisters, I have none
But that man's father is my father's son.

Who is it a portrait of?
ME.... 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

42 eggs is incorrect.

"ME" is also incorrect.

Ashy

Although probably wrong, it is reasonable to suppose that half a hen is in fact dead. Therefore a hen and a half to lay an egg and a half in a day and a half is actually means that the laying hen has with her, half a dead hen. Now the question of how to lay half and egg? Well as such it's impossible although it could be a average of half an egg in a day and a half which is one egg in three days on average.
So considering first the whole eggs laid in single days, these are 42 as had already been noted. To these we must add the average of one egg every three days of which there are a further 14, making 56 in all, by which time the dead half a hen would be quite smelly.

However as the question relates to 6 hens over 7 days and not one hen over 42 days per se, we expect 12 additional eggs over the first six days and additional eggs between 0 and 6 on the seventh day as this is indeterminate, since they might not lay the extra eggs until the ninth day; thus 54 - 60 in practice.