The Rustle of Spring in Michigan

Started by Cassandra, April 11, 2023, 10:01:18 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

I attach two photo's which I believe are brilliant, taken by my friend the former Test cricketer who is staying with me whilst we settle his new home in the USA. I applied for planning when he returned to the UK for a dwelling on my ten or so acres here, between the wood and the lake. The neighbours had no objection, not that it would really effect them as their nearly half a mile distant each way. I was told today it will be granted April 23rd and I'm going to 'gift' the land to him. He was widowed a few years ago and like me had really nothing but memories in the old country. His love of all wild life but birds in particular, is something I believe will fufill the rest of his life. His face radiates happiness when he's with them on his path of discovery.

Upon unpacking his shipping container that preceded him, we immediately assembled from about ten suitcases of Cameras and associated equipment, his motion activated kit and set them up in the woods. Within a day these wonderful 'co-residents' turned up in front of the lens.

The bird is a 'Carolina Wren' weighing about 3/4 of an ounce and very hungry, due to their rapid metabolism, especially at this time of year. He's very handsome and has a fantastic choice of songs, we've recorded 11 so far and he never stops. He's had a few ladies on his table so we're going to give him a fully detached box to show off!

The fawn was a live taken photo in real time. She was sleeping and her mother was grazing on the Hay we'd taken down the previous night on Horseback so as not to contaminate the ground with human scenting.

We've also built a 'hide' where we can photo and observe the wealth of our company here.

[aged attachment deleted by system]
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

Beautiful Photos, I fell in love with the wee fawn straight away. [2090]

morty

So did I ... how wonderful to be able to be so close to nature and enjoy watching them.

I'm sure your friend is going to be incredibly content and is lucky to have such a caring friend as you clearly are.

Alex

GrannyMac

What they all said! That fawn is simply perfect.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

superb! Thanks for sharing  :upvote:  :upvote:  :upvote: That little bird looks a bit on the tubby side - wonder what his wing loading is?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

What a wonderful world you live in Cassandra.. How I envy you...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Thanks everyone, my pal advises me that the Carolina Wren is the tubbiest on the continent, with a wingspan of about 15cm for his little 10cm body (including his stubby tail). However they have very strong muscle groups for these and an incredible power to weight ratio. His reckoning for your question Mike, is about 4 compensated by these attributes, he explains it as being 'turbo-charged'. This exhaustive operandi explains their high metabolism, some-what similar to humming birds. He's out there 12 hours a day at the moment and I share the hide with him as they settle for their overnight perches, amidst many bitter disputes for who got their first etc. very amusing to watch. Bit like Germans with their towels at swimming pools!

The fawn was seen just after dawn feeding on the hay with her mum, which we vary drop offs. We have no wolves and the Coyotes are scarce, so mum's biggest fear is from the sky (Eagles), we have both seen the magnificent Bald Eagle and my friend is going to take the launch out to a small island several miles off shore as he would dearly love to photo them nesting in the tall Douglas fir trees. The attraction is the lakes and many now are permanently resident here from over the Canadian border. From our shores we consistently watch them diving on fish, they rarely miss. With wingspans up to 8ft they are magnificent to behold. Hence my caution when out with my little dogs, although the attraction for fresh and plentiful chub seems to occupy their dietary selection. Farmers do shoot them as they can cary over 4 times their own weight, (which is 10lbs). My little Albert is about 17, so an easy carry off! They are wisely aware however that mankind is the only species that can kill at long range, so wisely give us a very wide berth.

Michael Rolls

gorgeous bird - I've seen Golden Eagles on Skye - another impressive sight, but never got near enough to photograph
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: morty on April 11, 2023, 10:42:46 PMSo did I ... how wonderful to be able to be so close to nature and enjoy watching them.

I'm sure your friend is going to be incredibly content and is lucky to have such a caring friend as you clearly are.

Thank you Morty. He's been a great friend through my own bereavement 25 years ago, through all the Cricket matches we've shared over fifty years, firstly as players and then latterly as umpires. A man couldn't wish for better.

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on April 12, 2023, 03:56:42 PMgorgeous bird - I've seen Golden Eagles on Skye - another impressive sight, but never got near enough to photograph

He won an award for this one Mike, although it took many hours to get the opportunity and a massive lens as well.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

What a wonderful place for your retirement and it looks like you are making the absolute most of it that is possible. Keep the pics and stories coming.

dextrous63

Absolutely stunning.  Envious to the core!!!

Cassandra

Yes this is my second Spring here and I'm beginning to realise just how wonderful it is.

Here's one though, who's definitely an import, my little man ...