Great, Just Bloody Great.

Started by Raven, March 30, 2023, 01:56:43 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Raven on March 30, 2023, 01:56:43 AMNow we all have to stop using gas or we face penalties.  :yell:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/03/30/households-face-net-zero-penalty-gas-bills/
Yes, our glorious leaders are indeed complete idiots.

No more gas boilers, hobs, fires, etc., but we are all to use electricity for everything, including cars of course.
At the same time, I have heard nothing more about how we're going to generate all of this electricity.  Will it be even more windmills?  Have they finally begun to consider SMRs?
Or are they hoping to buy even more electricity from 'our friends' in France?
Numquam credere Gallicum

Ashy

We've discussed it elsewhere but you could have more windmills but they don't do any good when the wind drops. Solar panels are good in bright sunshine but useless for half the year and at night. Tidal electricity is often proposed but the difference between high and low tides makes it impracticable for most of the year. So everything has to be covered watt for watt on hot standby by something that will work such as natural gas. All in all I think we should tackle the problem at the political end and try to get some sane MPs for a change.

dextrous63

If gas is being phased out then why are roadways not far from me still being dug up to upgrade gas pipes from the old metal ones to plastic?

Michael Rolls

you expect joined up thinking? Shame on you! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

It was a momentary slip.

Just for a second, I was wondering why, while they were digging up the pavements, the utilities service didn't consider installing some street ev charging points in readiness for the desired huge influx of electric cars that will replace the petrol ones over the next few years.

What was I thinking?!?

Michael Rolls

I have a feeling that if you thought about the problem and got a seat in the cabinet - you would have been a lone voice!
[email protected]

klondike

There is another question I heard asked...

Apparently the new Net Zero stuff includes £6bn for research into carbon capture. If we are phasing out all fossil fuels as they declare why do we need that? Could it be that they know full well that renewables alone have net zero chance of working for the forseeable future.

Michael Rolls

there is absolutely no way that renewables can provide enough energy even to meet current needs, let alone the increase in demand when all vehicles are electric. Why won't our head in the sand politicians accept that simple truth and either give in and embrace a mixture including oil, gas, wind, solar, and nuclear our tell us all that we are bound for a poverty unknown for over 200 years? Nothing else  but the mixture will work and still leave us with a reasonable standard of living.
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on March 31, 2023, 09:42:26 AMThere is another question I heard asked...

Apparently the new Net Zero stuff includes £6bn for research into carbon capture. If we are phasing out all fossil fuels as they declare why do we need that? Could it be that they know full well that renewables alone have net zero chance of working for the forseeable future.
On reading this post I have to re-evaluate my view of Net Zero & now know it can be achieved in some form.

There is Net Zero chance of achieving Net Zero.  :grin: 

March 31, 2023, 10:08:05 AM
A political researcher called Matthew Goodwin has published an interesting book that attempts to explain the modern political landscape & I found these two paragraphs sum it up very well.

"British politics is coming apart".  A New Elite" consisting of university graduates with "radically progressive values" has taken control of our institutions and looks down on "the morally inferior masses", whom it dismisses as racists and xenophobes.

"When Neil Kinnock led Labour into battle against Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s, there had been 64 Labour MPs who had previously held working-class jobs. When Tony Blair won his second landslide, in 2001, the number had fallen to 49. When Ed Miliband was defeated by David Cameron in 2015, it was down to 20. When Jeremy Corbyn took over, promising to restore the voice of the working class, there were 12. And when Keir Starmer replaced him, promising to repair the Labour Party's relationship with the Red Wall, there were only seven."
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

can't say that I am surprised. On the other hand, we do have 650 MPs who DON'T BLOODY WORK!!!!!
[email protected]

klondike

Their policies certainly don't.

If they do the chances are it is mostly away from Westminster and their constituencies with their spare time devoted to dreaming up idiotic policies they hope will be popular but, as their lives are so far removed from normal folk, aren't.

Michael Rolls

what policies? Most seem to have been written on the of a fag packet
[email protected]

Raven

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 31, 2023, 10:25:38 AMcan't say that I am surprised. On the other hand, we do have 650 MPs who DON'T BLOODY WORK!!!!!

Mike Lad, It must be very hard work sitting there swilling coffee n Biscuits, thinking up these mad ideas. I know it would give me a roaring headache. :nooo:  :grin:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Diasi

I've been scanning through the wholesale gas market reports & the price of gas is now more or less back to where it was pre-Ukraine or 70% lower than at it's peak.

It takes some good smoke & mirrors to justify why retail prices are still rising.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]