Good Morning, Whatcha Up To The Day?

Started by Raven, December 15, 2021, 12:33:18 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Quote from: Mups on October 09, 2024, 09:33:57 PMYes,  I like my casseroles in the winter.
I've already got a batch of Chicken ones and some Beef ones, plus a batch of Spag. Bol. in the freezer.   :smiley:

How do you make your chicken casserole Mups ?

Mups

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2024, 09:48:32 PMHow do you make your chicken casserole Mups ?

Hi Alex,  I'm no expert by a long chalk,  but I just fry the chicken pieces to brown them a bit, add whatever vegetables I've got, plus a couple of Bay leaves and sometimes a satchet of Bouquet Garni,  then usually a bit of chicken stock as well,   and put the lot in my slow cooker.   If I've got any mushrooms, they sometimes go in too. 

If I do it in the morning I cook it slowly till tea time, but if I don't start it till evening I cook it on Low overnight.

Beef one is much the same, but sometimes I like a bit of Pearl Barley in that too, and a bit of Bovril or Worcester sauce.    I might add some baby new potatoes as well.
It's all a bit pot luck really,  depending on what I've got.   Sometimes I add some dumplings towards the end, too.

I've got a lovely Spag.Bol receipe I have used for years.   If you'd fancy that, just say and I will write it down for you.

dextrous63

My daughter uses Turkey mince instead.  Really is rather nice.

Mups

Quote from: dextrous63 on October 09, 2024, 10:18:23 PMMy daughter uses Turkey mince instead.  Really is rather nice.

For the Spag.Bol  you mean?  

Alex

Quote from: Mups on October 09, 2024, 10:01:40 PMHi Alex,  I'm no expert by a long chalk,  but I just fry the chicken pieces to brown them a bit, add whatever vegetables I've got, plus a couple of Bay leaves and sometimes a satchet of Bouquet Garni,  then usually a bit of chicken stock as well,   and put the lot in my slow cooker.   If I've got any mushrooms, they sometimes go in too. 

If I do it in the morning I cook it slowly till tea time, but if I don't start it till evening I cook it on Low overnight.

Beef one is much the same, but sometimes I like a bit of Pearl Barley in that too, and a bit of Bovril or Worcester sauce.    I might add some baby new potatoes as well.
It's all a bit pot luck really,  depending on what I've got.   Sometimes I add some dumplings towards the end, too.

I've got a lovely Spag.Bol receipe I have used for years.   If you'd fancy that, just say and I will write it down for you.

It's just chicken casserole/stew that's hit and miss with me, adding cream usually rescues it  :grin:

October 10, 2024, 11:24:24 AM
My son made Spag Bol with turkey mince, DIL is vegan'ish.  It was awful  :cool:

Mups

Quote from: dextrous63 on October 09, 2024, 10:18:23 PMMy daughter uses Turkey mince instead.  Really is rather nice.
Not sure I see the point in that, Dex?  

It's a bit like making a Lamb stew with Pork.  :hmm:

Michael Rolls

cleaning lady comes at 0900, chiropodist at 1630 - it's all go!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Quote from: Mups on October 10, 2024, 11:36:29 AMNot sure I see the point in that, Dex? 

It's a bit like making a Lamb stew with Pork.  :hmm:

She doesn't like red meat.

Diasi

I've bought an Instant Pot Duo Plus multi-cooker / pressure cooker & it arrived today.

I see the price has gone back up to £129.99 but I paid £89.99 so I assume they were matching the Amazon Prime sale price.

My plan is to cook such dishes as chicken & rice, risotto's, stews etc, using the pressure function, & do 4 portions & freeze 3 of them.

It will also be useful when I get stressed as I can let off some steam.

https://bitly.cx/jEV0
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

I do that all the time but I use my slow cooker. 🙂

klondike

I found that my casseroles really didn't freeze well. I bought a small slow cooker but haven't used it yet. I'll probably get some frozen veg in as that is realistically the only way to use the small quantities needed for a single meal.

My Ninja has a pressure cooking option but it takes quite a while so I no longer use that option.

Scrumpy

I just bung anything that still looks edible into a casserole dish and put it in the oven on low..
I do have a slow cooker... but prefer  oven .. it warms up the room..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Mups

Quote from: Raven on October 11, 2024, 12:29:02 PMI do that all the time but I use my slow cooker. 🙂
Same here.

Makes meat so lovely and tender too.

Raven

Quote from: Mups on October 11, 2024, 03:28:56 PMSame here.

Makes meat so lovely and tender too.

Have you tried doing a pork joint in cider? Wonderful. 😀

Mups

Quote from: Raven on October 11, 2024, 04:46:23 PMHave you tried doing a pork joint in cider? Wonderful. 😀

That sounds interesting, Raven, though not sure if I'd like the Cider?   
Does the end product taste of cider very much?