a chest of draws

Started by crabbyob, June 03, 2022, 05:58:05 AM

« previous - next »

crabbyob

i have noticed over the past few years people are calling drawers as in chest of drawers, draws,
is this the correct word, has the old saying 'the bottom drawer' been wrong all those years?

Michael Rolls

no - they are just showing poor grasp of the English language, like misplaced apostrophes, etc..
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

The word used in that context is incorrect but language is fluid and changes over time. I say live and let live when the meaning is clear.

Michael Rolls

verbally, of course, there is no difference, which, combined with poor education, is doubtless the reason - just like the number of times one will see 'should of' written instead of 'should have', because when spoken they sound similar.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

One thing that sounds plain old wrong to me is different than. I'm pretty sure that would have attracted a red pen back in my schooldays but our colonial cousins seem to have adopted it almost exclusively.

https://www.grammar.com/different-from-vs-different-than#:~:text=So%20a%20big%20distinction%20between,than%20have%20flourished%20in%20America.

Michael Rolls

I honestly can't see how 'different from' and 'different than' can be regarded as interchangeable
Mike
[email protected]

Raven

I hate the language I've used all my life being messed about with, and changed to suit certain groups. :wtf: When I was growing up a prime example was the word Gay, it meant light hearted and to me it still does. Why should Homosexuals get to pinch it cos they don't like the correct word for them. Call them what they are......Homosexual. :angry:

klondike

Does rather mess up the lyrics of some old songs and intended meaning in old books.
There were plenty of other names they were already called after all  :grin:

I find it amusing that some black folk are quite happy to address each other with the infamous N word that if used by any public figure would see them instantly in the dog house

Jacqueline

Quote from: Raven on June 03, 2022, 10:03:35 AMI hate the language I've used all my life being messed about with, and changed to suit certain groups. :wtf: When I was growing up a prime example was the word Gay, it meant light hearted and to me it still does. Why should Homosexuals get to pinch it cos they don't like the correct word for them. Call them what they are......Homosexual. :angry:
I couldn't agree more Raven.  I think I have mentioned before, my schoolfriend's name was Gay.  I have lost touch but I can only imagine what life must now be like for the poor woman.

Jacqueline

Quote from: crabbyob on June 03, 2022, 05:58:05 AMi have noticed over the past few years people are calling drawers as in chest of drawers, draws,
is this the correct word, has the old saying 'the bottom drawer' been wrong all those years?
Chest of drawers is the correct word, even I know that and my spelling is not the best.  

GrannyMac

Even worse is 'chester draws'. As seen on a selling site.

I also wince when I see 'could of'. I know it sounds like could've, but it just looks wrong. And when did using 'myself' instead of 'me' or 'I' come into fashion?
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

On a forum I used to visit years ago, one of the chaps had a habit I found mildly irritating. If he agreed with a post he would just post 'myself'.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I prefer to see good grammar myself.  :wink:

Alex

Is there a word for people like us  ?  Pedantic, Nit Picker ?
I dislike ' could of' too.   :rolleyes:

I'm grateful to Miss McAllister a dour Scottish woman who taught me English grammar  :lipsrsealed:

I made quite a gaff one day while typing a letter to a local school who were after funding from the firm I worked for.  I typed 'All Hearts Grammer School' - twice in fact   :clap:  :clap:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]