Ukraine again

Started by Alex, March 14, 2022, 02:37:09 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

I just read a post from Digitalis 'over the road'  His posts are sometimes hard to understand, but more often than not they're really interesting.  He asked a question, which I must admit entered my mind whilst I watched the President of Ukraine plead for NATO help, then saying it will be Warsaw next ! 

"Will Zelensky be driven to fire missiles into Poland to make it appear Russia has done so to bring NATO into the conflict? "

zoony

Missiles are too easy to track back to source. I doubt he'd do anything so stupid. A better idea would be to assassinate Putin. He's out of control and unstable according to some thinkers..

Alex

Assassinations yes, but he so well protected isn't he ? ordinary Vlad Bloggski has no chance of getting to him.

zoony

Mmm, but where there's a will..

Raven

I'm not at all sure of all the in's and out's of the reasons for this bother BUT, didn't Ukraine and Russia have some sort of deal set up about 7/8 years ago. Russia has never made any secret of the fact it doesn't want NATO on it's doorstep and the deal was that Ukraine would not ever apply to join. Why has this blown up? Did Ukraine go back on the deal? asking to join NATO? If so Why? Now I am NOT in anyway standing up for Putin but I would like to know the real reason why he's doing this.........There are two sides to every story after all.  :hmm: :hmm:

Jacqueline

Quote from: Raven on March 14, 2022, 04:54:33 PM
I'm not at all sure of all the in's and out's of the reasons for this bother BUT, didn't Ukraine and Russia have some sort of deal set up about 7/8 years ago. Russia has never made any secret of the fact it doesn't want NATO on it's doorstep and the deal was that Ukraine would not ever apply to join. Why has this blown up? Did Ukraine go back on the deal? asking to join NATO? If so Why? Now I am NOT in anyway standing up for Putin but I would like to know the real reason why he's doing this.........There are two sides to every story after all.  :hmm: :hmm:

I agree with you Raven, there are two sides to every story, Putin has done a terrible wrong thing in invading Ukraine, but I was listening to a Chinese man on TV, he said Russia and China are worried about the world order whatever that means.  Putin doesn't want Nato missiles on it's doorstep nor would we want theirs on ours if the role was reversed. I am sure we don't know the full story.

Alex

I too agree.  Look at Cuba, US was enraged when Russia put missiles on Cuba, had we had Biden in charge instead of Kennedy, things would perhaps have turned out differently.   Khrushchev agreed to remove the Soviet missiles from Cuba in exchange for a U.S. pledge not to invade Cuba and to remove US missiles from Turkey. Have those missiles creep back in to Turkey ? which other European countries now have US missiles aimed at Russia ? 
I'll Google that later ! :cool:  I'm wandering off track a bit, but I think NATO and US haven't helped with the current situation, that being said it doesn't excuse Putin's actions.......

Raven

Talking about this on the phone with my daughter today. She says NATO is supposed to be a peace keeper and not interfere with anyone, but it seems it has been interfering and maybe that has put Putin's back up....... Maybe.

zoony

It matters not. Putin has invaded a sovereign nation, no ifs, ands or buts. NATO isn't a peacekeeper, it's a coalition of states for their own protection and the security of the region. They must be firm with Putin and show strength in unity.

FLOUNCER3

i maybe wrong but werent the Brits in Korea fighting under the UN banner, so if they go after the Russians they wont be american nor germans but UN troops, but its really not what we want to happen
having said that i cant see the russians retreating back to their own borders...

Michael Rolls

Korea was indeed a United Nations force, but in reality USA plus
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

FLOUNCER3

we had a couple in our company who had served, i  had to train them how to arm a Mills Bomb, and i had never heard one go bang..
i also met a guy who won the VC there, an english guy who served in the KOSB's, he wont remember me he could hardly stand when i was chatting to him, i could stand ok, but if they moved that wall... lol... was it Speakman?

zoony

Quote from: FLOUNCER3 on March 15, 2022, 06:59:19 PM
i maybe wrong but werent the Brits in Korea fighting under the UN banner, so if they go after the Russians they wont be american nor germans but UN troops, but its really not what we want to happen
having said that i cant see the russians retreating back to their own borders...

The UN and NATO are different bodies but I assume they have their co-operation treaties and agreements. I guess they're not getting a lot of sleep at present. Not sure why Mr Putin isn't being accused of war crimes though I suppose that would be done retrospectively and won't depend on him giving a damn.

klondike

Came across this. I think this picture is worth more than the usual 1,000 word price tag...

It's good to moan.

hugh

NATO it self did not get involved in Ukraine, some member along with others out side NATO did. Putin was hoping to expand the Russian empire for his own ego. It now shows just how weak Russian forces are. Putin would loved to prove NATO was attacking Russia.

Looks like Putin has more problems on his plate, as two Russian boats been sunk in the black sea by a Ukraine controlled drone 
Happy Golfer