A Warning For Gardeners.

Started by Raven, March 08, 2022, 04:14:40 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

A warning for anyone who uses old car tyres to plant veg in . . . DON'T !

I never knew until I saw this in my gardening magazine this morning, that it can be dangerous, and here is why.

" It was discovered that old tyres are damaging the environment, especially when used for growing plants within them.
Watering and weathering biodegrades the rubber, which then releases toxic zinc and carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons into the soil that are absorbed by plants.
If you are growing potatoes or other vegetables within a circle of tyres, they are liable to ingest toxins that would be injurious to health."

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on March 08, 2022, 04:14:40 PM
A warning for anyone who uses old car tyres to plant veg in . . . DON'T !

I never knew until I saw this in my gardening magazine this morning, that it can be dangerous, and here is why.

" It was discovered that old tyres are damaging the environment, especially when used for growing plants within them.
Watering and weathering biodegrades the rubber, which then releases toxic zinc and carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons into the soil that are absorbed by plants.
If you are growing potatoes or other vegetables within a circle of tyres, they are liable to ingest toxins that would be injurious to health."

I never knew anyone did, but it's a timely warning to tread carefully.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

I've seen flowers planted in them but not veg. The tyres had been painted white. Not my taste, I like my plastic tubs for flowers and the kitchen garden n greenhouse for veggies.  :smiley:

Scrumpy

I haven't seen tyres used for planters for many years..
Interesting facts though..
I try not to use plastic .. I have a wooden trough that I shall plant salad in this year.. and just a couple of pots.. I don't have a greenhouse.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

They use scrap cars with no bonnets round these parts  :grin:

Scrumpy

Quote from: Diasi on March 08, 2022, 04:26:26 PM
I never knew anyone did, but it's a timely warning to tread carefully.

Love the play on words..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

zoony

The Acer tree I mentioned earlier was planted within the ring of a tyre. 'S been in there 20 yrs now..

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on March 08, 2022, 07:05:20 PM
They use scrap cars with no bonnets round these parts  :grin:

I worked on estates like that! Ancient sofa in the front garden, and the house number painted in emulsion a foot high. Stylish 😉.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

The area I am thinking of used to be council houses. You can tell easily enough which were bought privately and which are housing association. It doesn't cost much to keep a front tidy but seems to be a low priority with many.

Where I live they are big houses and some have been bought up and made HMOs. Not hard to spot them either - they are the ones with overflowing bins.

GrannyMac

It can be a real shame to see lovely old villas broken up into HMOs, with the front yards all opened up to house multiple bins.  It was council estates I worked on, the feral few often ruined them for the majority, who did care for their homes, whether bought or rented. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

There is one two doors up from me. Same house as mine but without the extension I had put on. Somehow it houses 5 (being close I was sent the planning application). Luckily none seem to have cars. There is another in a different style house and I don't know how many live there. I do know that none of them know which is bin day. When they start to overflow I take a picture and sent it to the local councillor who passes it on the council who then make the landlord sort it out. Usually takes a week.

crabbyob

so we cant burn them nor can we put them in landfill sites if they are poisoning the soil...
could we use them for breakwater reefs or groynes to stop the sea eroding our coastline
the beach i visit infrequently at Betalbatim, takes quite a battering and i am considering sending a letter in to their version of a local council to use such a measure..

zoony

There's much work going into recycling these nuisances like;

https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles/turning-old-tyres-into-new-roads

https://www.ukconstructionmedia.co.uk/news/highways-england-recycled-tyres/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/341147740520826795/

If there's a bob or two in it, and there appears to be, there'll be no shortage of investors and development money.

crabbyob

in Chennai theres a guy who turns them into flip-flop slippers.. :smiley: