Cost of Living

Started by hugh, April 22, 2022, 06:56:44 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Quote from: klondike on April 23, 2022, 01:15:59 PM
There is no doubt that home grown tomatos taste better than bought but how many do you eat? They come in a glut at a time they cost coppers and will cost more to grow than they do to just buy. IMO look at growing them as a hobby rather than a way to save money.
No profanity filter here. Hardly any point is there?

I do eat quite a few tomatoes, I like those little piccolo ones.
As to the 'profanity' - it's habit  :grin:

klondike

It used to amuse me to cheat on PF and claim I was a "trustee". I eventually got an email from Chris asking me to stop doing it following a set to with you know who....

Hi, can I ask that you stop circumventing the censored word filter by using foreign characters. I have cracked down on rule breaking by others who have been disrupting the forum, but I can only do that if everyone else is abiding by the forum rules.

• No swearing. Don't 'hide' swearing by replacing certain letters with others or inserting spaces.

Thank you.

Diasi

And you, encouraged me to do it.

I remember, vividly, a thread where quite a few of the posts featured the Cockwell Inn. Lol  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

crabbyob

Alex

I like the way he said ' cracked down' on those who disrupted the forum, he should have banned them altogether.   

klondike

Quote from: crabbyob on April 23, 2022, 05:55:05 PM
cough....
Yes. Iirc I'd put a little page up where you could type in your message and have it converted to trustee status and told you about it just before that email arrived.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on April 23, 2022, 06:31:54 PM
Yes. Iirc I'd put a little page up where you could type in your message and have it converted to trustee status and told you about it just before that email arrived.

You sent me a list of profanity beating code to replace just any one vowel in a word & I could then type Cockwell Inn, or cock well in if I'd wanted to.   :shocked:

I thought it would have had some use with the state of everyone's finances at the moment.

I paid £1.35p for a loaf today & god only knows what will happen if energy prices double again in October.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I've decided not to worry about it too much, I worried enough about money in the eighties!  I'll line dry when the weather is good, 2 loads today, second almost dry, and finish off on the clothes horse.  Perhaps we don't need to wash our clothes as often as we do.  I'd hate not to have a daily shower though!   We rarely use the dishwasher.  Our son has offered us help if we need it, but I don't intend it to come to that. 

OH cooks mostly from scratch, and we can eat fairly cheaply if we choose. We'll hang on to the car for now, and my gym membership. OH will still enjoy a glass of malt.  Neither of us buys many new clothes, we already have warm sweaters, fleeces and throws, so the heating will be used more sparingly.   We've booked and paid for a short break in June, fortunately we don't covet expensive holidays.  Being retired, I have plenty of time to shop around.  The instant coffee we like is £4.50 in Sainsbury's, £2.99 in Lidl. 

Some households have saved lots during lockdown, there's billions more in savings than pre pandemic.  https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/tv/martin-lewis-warns-anyone-savings-23742162

However I'm aware there will be severe hardship amongst the poorest, and help must be available for those in genuine need. 

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on April 24, 2022, 05:18:48 PM
You sent me a list of profanity beating code to replace just any one vowel in a word
I went higher tech  :grin: I also included an option to strikeout as that can be amusing sometimes but as that is included in the editor anyway but disabled by Chris for reasons unknown, I didn't bother to add any everyday words to [censor] here for no obvious reason and I am banned from PF where such a thing may be useful I dropped the page.

I dug it out https://favourites.letschat.club/trustee.php
It only works with the WSYSIWYG editor

klondike

Quote from: GrannyMac on April 24, 2022, 06:56:53 PM
However I'm aware there will be severe hardship amongst the poorest, and help must be available for those in genuine need.
Little sign of that being the case in the budget. This is one of the reasons I think this will be a single term Tory government. Regardless of what caused problems like this the government of the day always takes the blame. If they do nothing to alleviate the problem they deserve to imo.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on April 24, 2022, 07:38:38 PM
Little sign of that being the case in the budget. This is one of the reasons I think this will be a single term Tory government. Regardless of what caused problems like this the government of the day always takes the blame. If they do nothing to alleviate the problem they deserve to imo.

That's the problem as we then get a government that, in addition to not alleviating the problem, would have made it far worse.
[email protected]

klondike

You know that. I know that.

There is a generation of voters that hasn't seen an old Labour government. As bad as New Labour was it couldn't hold a candle to those. We will get it and it will be another single term government. Unless the Marxists take control of it and we are all saved the inconvenience of voting ever again where there is any doubt of the outcome.

zoony

I fear you're right klondike. They'll only believe it when they see it..Feel it. Perhaps with a different leader but at least Good Ol' Reliable Keir is a known quantity but Lady Rayner is a squid of a different ink. Like Boris, she'd appeal to a lot of the people that Starmer doesn't.

Jacqueline

Can't stand that Angela Rayner woman, and all that rubbish today about her crossing/uncrossing her legs, what's that all about? assume she is wearing her knickers in Parliament?

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]