Cost of Living

Started by hugh, April 22, 2022, 06:56:44 PM

« previous - next »

hugh

Every thing rising in price which is not joke, rather than moan about it I gave a lot of thought, how to save money. Tumble dryer, a washing line as taken its place. To reduce the amount of times I use the washing machine, socks and underpants get hand washed each morning. Food I have now stopped Wiltshire food being delivered, and now cook my own, but only use frozen veg to stop food wastage. The garden not going to get bedding plants but plenty of wild flower seeds for the wild life and some colour to enjoy. Certainly not going to cut out things I enjoy like a glass of wine each evening,  and a round of golf. 
Happy Golfer

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

We shouldn't  have to be cutting back like this.  If our government wasn't wasting millions on keeping illegals who have come here for a better life it could go the the poorer people in our society.  Their better life is at the expense of ours.

Alex

Spot on as always Jacq !   :upvote:

crabbyob

why not plant veggies then Hugh :?:

Sheila

I planted some dwarf french beans in a pot yesterday and am keeping the pot in the utility room until the weather settles.  I plant some every 10 days or so.  Usually we have tomato plants in the garden from last year's seeds but I haven't seen any pop up yet.

When we used to have an allotment we had two huge asparagus beds and I really miss them.  I have felt like sneaking in and stealing some!

hugh

We all have quite large gardens around here crabbyobob and most of us have tried growing our own veg but our soil is terrible. Growing dwarf french beans in pots and runner beans I may give that a try.
Happy Golfer

Alex

I'd love to grow tomatoes, I tried once using a grow bag, but I managed to co.ck that up !

klondike

There is no doubt that home grown tomatos taste better than bought but how many do you eat? They come in a glut at a time they cost coppers and will cost more to grow than they do to just buy. IMO look at growing them as a hobby rather than a way to save money.

Quote from: Alex on April 23, 2022, 12:57:52 PMco.ck
No profanity filter here. Hardly any point is there?

Raven

My kitchen garden is in the process of being planted out. Potatoes, Beets, Carrots, Onions and Peas. The greenhouse has 4 Tomato Plants and a couple of Cucumber ones.

Diasi

The cost of living must be the most talked about topic at the moment & will be for a long time I fear.

We've just changed our Yorkie's grooming session from May to June & to every three months instead of every two months afterwards.

Parsely Box has been kicked into touch & the unused TVs & set top boxes have been switched off.

The Alexa devices & CCTV camers use about 150 watts in total & I'm not going to stop using them.

Probably what we'll save is fairly trivial so it's more of a doing something feel-good factor.

If there's anything to feel good about.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

hugh

You could be saving quite a bit by not using parsley box. I know with Wiltshire Farm food a roast beef meal cost £4. A beef joint at Aldi cost me £6.99 which as given me 4 meals so far and still plenty left. I could be saving £20 a week on food. Have to wait and see how much I am saving by not using the tumble dryer.
Happy Golfer

Raven

I never dry from wet in the tumble dryer. In the winter the washing goes on the clothes horse in the spare room and I finish off the almost dry stuff a couple of items at a time. Very quick, only in the dryer for a couple of minutes and come out dry and usually wrinkle free..........No ironing them.  :yahoo:

Diasi

Quote from: hugh on April 23, 2022, 03:58:21 PM
You could be saving quite a bit by not using parsley box. I know with Wiltshire Farm food a roast beef meal cost £4. A beef joint at Aldi cost me £6.99 which as given me 4 meals so far and still plenty left. I could be saving £20 a week on food. Have to wait and see how much I am saving by not using the tumble dryer.

I didn't use Parsley Box on a regular weekly basis but as Tesco say, "every little helps" & Parsley Box was a bit of an extravagance.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Tip for the dryer
Put a dry clean towel in the tumble dryer, it absorbs some of the moisture.