A Nation of Stamp Lickers

Started by Ashy, September 17, 2022, 08:20:23 PM

« previous - next »

Ashy

Employment cards. cheques, trading stamps, savings stamps, letters, parcels, postcards, letter cards, letters from the Readers' Digest,

was there anything that didn't have stamps stuck on it?

Diasi

I only scanned the title very quickly & read Nation of Lickers.

I thought this was going to be a thread knocking the Royalists.  :grin: :clap:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Ashy

Quote from: Diasi on September 17, 2022, 08:56:19 PMI only scanned the title very quickly & read Nation of Lickers.

I thought this was going to be a thread knocking the Royalists.  :grin: :clap:
The constitutional monarchy represents the defeat and humiliation of royalty, and supremacy of commoners. I think it's possible to respect the monarchy without liking the individuals.
Let's stick to licking stamps in this thread.

klondike

I vaguely recall that at one time some documents got signed over a stamp. Bit like a royal seal I suppose. Of course I may have dreamed that so would be interested if anybody else recalls similar.

Michael Rolls

quite right - I think documents for house purchase, but memory is hazy - but, many years ago I definitely signed more than one document over a stamp (not at the same tome - different occasions)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

You might not be able to see this properly as it's really old, but it's my Grandad's indenture paper with a stamp on it.  1906 the date when he became a Printer, by 1914 he was a soldier !

[/url]

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on September 17, 2022, 09:24:37 PMThe constitutional monarchy represents the defeat and humiliation of royalty, and supremacy of commoners. I think it's possible to respect the monarchy without liking the individuals.
Let's stick to licking stamps in this thread.

I'll have to try & stop scan-reading. Lol
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Stamps on letters !!.. I have licked so many over the years, especially at Christmas time.. 

Imagine all the germs that were being sent in the mail.!! I think the 'posh' had a wet sponge on their desk..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

I remember stamps on cheques. I think there was only one other member of our family that had a bank account because her salary was paid into the bank. Nearly everyone had wages in cash when the stamp was abolished.

If memory serves me, every "legal document" had to have a stamp on it.

SO now I'm wondering if you buy a stamp, who gets the money? It must all have been going to the government back in the day.