Liz Truss.

Started by Raven, September 18, 2023, 06:22:17 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

I Loathed the woman the short time she was the PM, but this is going to make her even more unpopular. Unless your Brian of course. As for again raising the pension age, the woman is crazy.

BBC News - Liz Truss urges PM to cut taxes and benefit increases
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66836347

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on September 18, 2023, 06:22:17 AMI Loathed the woman the short time she was the PM, but this is going to make her even more unpopular. Unless your Brian of course. As for again raising the pension age, the woman is crazy.

BBC News - Liz Truss urges PM to cut taxes and benefit increases
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66836347
The pension age will have to rise as life expectancy rises.

It's simple economics.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

It's fine if your in a job that's inside like an office or shop, but what if your in the building trade or something like that. Life expectancy may be rising but you still get all the health problems that arrive around your 50/60s. People want to enjoy a bit of retirement not collapse and die in the work place. In my own case my health forced me into early retirement in my 50s. I enjoyed my working life and didn't want to give it up, but I was a whisper away from a wheelchair as I could hardly stand. I had no choice in the matter as I couldn't do my job.

Alex

I agree we can't expect a bricklayer or a hod carrier to be able to work to the same age as a clerk or an IT person, it's not physically possible.

I retired at 60 but I had no choice, so I got another job 3 days a week working in a travel agent's office.  It was an interesting job, but a bit of a shock from my civil service, shall I say "less busy" job. :grin:  I finally stopped at 63 because I was made redundant, but I was ready to kick the alarm clock into touch by then.. 

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on September 18, 2023, 09:41:31 AMIt's fine if your in a job that's inside like an office or shop, but what if your in the building trade or something like that.
You mean like me when I was 73 & was forced to stop because the building site insurance wouldn't cover me.

I could do a full day on a building site today, including carrying my own ladders & shimmying up them.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I voluntarily stopped at 62. My only regret is that I couldn't afford to at 22. 

Alex

Quote from: Diasi on September 18, 2023, 10:36:31 AMYou mean like me when I was 73 & was forced to stop because the building site insurance wouldn't cover me.

I could do a full day on a building site today, including carrying my own ladders & shimmying up them.

Not everyone is as fit as you were at 73 Phil, I know by 65 by bricklayer Dad was ready for his retirement.

Raven

Quote from: Diasi on September 18, 2023, 10:36:31 AMYou mean like me when I was 73 & was forced to stop because the building site insurance wouldn't cover me.

What I mean is most builders are having some health problems by 65, I swim with an Electrician who's no longer able to kneel because of the Arthritis in his knee joints and his fingers too are becoming sore and swollen. He's had to give up his job because of it. You have been very very lucky with your health Phil, I bet we would all like to be able to carry on like you did, I know I would have loved to have not had any health problems. :smiley:

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on September 18, 2023, 10:46:01 AMNot everyone is as fit as you were at 73 Phil, I know by 65 by bricklayer Dad was ready for his retirement.

Quote from: Raven on September 18, 2023, 11:34:42 AMWhat I mean is most builders are having some health problems by 65, I swim with an Electrician who's no longer able to kneel because of the Arthritis in his knee joints and his fingers too are becoming sore and swollen. He's had to give up his job because of it. You have been very very lucky with your health Phil, I bet we would all like to be able to carry on like you did, I know I would have loved to have not had any health problems. :smiley:
I'm not saying they are or can go on past the current State Pension age.

I'm saying that the pension age will need to rise for those who can go on past it.

There are people today who can't even work until 65 but that doesn't mean the pension age should be lowered.

And yes, I appreciate my good health every single day, especially this week as it's time to move all the heavier items from my house to hers. 

But she can lift her fair share.  :grin:
[email protected]

dextrous63

Gotta admit that Truss has something about her that raises one's old pecker.  Phwoar 

Raven

All the mare raises for me is my blood pressure.  :angry:  :nooo:

klondike

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 26, 2023, 09:54:56 PMGotta admit that Truss has something about her that raises one's old pecker.  Phwoar
How about this young lady?

dextrous63

Quote from: Raven on September 26, 2023, 09:58:57 PMAll the mare raises for me is my blood pressure.  :angry:  :nooo:
Same here, but in a specific part of my body😬

September 26, 2023, 10:05:50 PM
Quote from: klondike on September 26, 2023, 10:03:42 PMHow about this young lady?

How would you feel if that were Diane Abbott?

klondike

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on September 26, 2023, 10:10:58 PMDianne. Phwoar....
Her catch phrase is the remarkably appropriate "let me finish, let me finish"

This doesn't always refer to finishing off everyone else's meals😬