Bradley Cooper Playing Leonard Bernstein.

Started by Diasi, August 17, 2023, 08:54:43 AM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Apparently Bradly Cooper has played the part of Leonard Bernstein, of whom I never heard, & there's an uproar because he wore a prosthetic nose to make it look like Bernstein's huge Jewish nose.

Some Jews are complaining that it's racist (yes that word being misused yet again oy vey already) & that it portrays a stereo-typical huge Jewish nose.

GB News had a Jewish woman on this morning who was complaining about the said stereo-typical Jewish nose & her's was so big it seemed to poke out of my laptop screen when she leaned to within a few inches of her webcam.

After the interview had finished, Stephen Dixon asked for viewers comments but said that unacceptable comments would not be tolerated.

Therefore, I didn't send in the one about Jews having big noses because air was free. Lol  :grin:

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

It's a shame just a few people are complaining about this unimportant detail. 

klondike

Bradley Cooper clearly didn't consider it unimportant as he obtained and wore it. The shame imo is that he did so. Imagine the bloody fuss if he'd done it in  blackface. Why demonstrate your own poor taste to the world. 

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on August 17, 2023, 01:27:44 PMBradley Cooper clearly didn't consider it unimportant as he obtained and wore it. The shame imo is that he did so. Imagine the bloody fuss if he'd done it in  blackface. Why demonstrate your own poor taste to the world.
Actually Bernstein's children, with whom the nose was discussed, supported the prosthetic nose as it made his character look more like their Dad.

No one complained when Kenneth More had one leg strapped up when he played Douglas Bader, so it looked as though he only had one leg.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

I guess some people cannot suspend belief for a theatrical event.

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on August 17, 2023, 01:44:29 PMActually Bernstein's children, with whom the nose was discussed, supported the prosthetic nose as it made his character look more like their Dad.
If it was some sort of portrayal of the bloke then fair enough. I got the wrong end of the stick - I thought it was some piece of music written by Bernstein being played by the other bloke who I hadn't heard of. As you say nobody bats an eyelid at makeup used to portray somebody. Hitler with no moustache wouldn't go down well for instance.

Alex

Quote from: klondike on August 17, 2023, 01:27:44 PMBradley Cooper clearly didn't consider it unimportant as he obtained and wore it. The shame imo is that he did so. Imagine the bloody fuss if he'd done it in  blackface. Why demonstrate your own poor taste to the world.

His kids didn't have a problem with his portrayal of their dad

klondike

I've already explained that I misread the situation. I had the title in my head not the opening line of Phil's post.

Quote from: klondike on August 17, 2023, 05:31:38 PMIf it was some sort of portrayal of the bloke then fair enough. I got the wrong end of the stick - I thought it was some piece of music written by Bernstein being played by the other bloke who I hadn't heard of. As you say nobody bats an eyelid at makeup used to portray somebody. Hitler with no moustache wouldn't go down well for instance.

Michael Rolls

Leonard Bernstein - brilliant composer and conductor - who's Bradley Cooper?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

He's an actor who starred in the latest remake of A Star is Born, with Lady Gaga. We enjoyed it.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on August 18, 2023, 06:38:43 AMLeonard Bernstein - brilliant composer and conductor - who's Bradley Cooper?
Well you did better than me.

I hadn't heard of either of them.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

oddly enough, there is also Elmer Bernstein with similar skills. For ages I had assumed that they were related, but they aren't. Both composed a lot of music for films amongst  other things. Leonard composed the music for West Side Story, one of my very favourite musicals, frighteningly 66 years ago!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I used google after getting it wrong. It's  a new biopic called Maestro about Bernstein. I'm truly amazed that anybody complained about the actor being made up to look like the subject. I initially though it was somebody wearing a false nose because he was playing one of Bernstein's compositions.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5535276/