Not sure I believe this...

Started by klondike, August 09, 2023, 02:07:47 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Labour set for 'grudging' general election landslide as new poll shows Tory wipeout

The research found Sir Keir Starmer's party would win 461 seats, while the Conservatives would be down to 90.

Labour is on course for a "grudging" landslide at the next general election, new polling suggests.

The survey by Find Out Now and Electoral Calculus puts Sir Keir Starmer's party 22 points ahead of the Tories, with the parties on 46 percent and 24 percent respectively.

The polling shows Labour would take 461 seats - up 258 from 2019 - if the country took to the ballot box tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the Conservatives would lose an eye-watering 275 MPs, leaving them with just 90.

The SNP and the Liberal Democrats are facing a tight battle for third place, according to the poll of 11,142 voters carried out from July 31 to August 4.

The nationalist party - which has been engulfed in chaos amid a police probe into its finances - would drop 10 seats to 38, while the Lib Dems would gain 26 MPs taking them to a total of 37.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1800329/labour-conservatives-general-election-poll?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=communities

I'm really not sure I believe that. Can the Tories really get 90 seats after all the crap they have overseen?

Ashy

Well I'll be voting for Reform i f they are standing but historically the most likely result is a narrow conservative majority. Labour certainly doesn't deserve a landslide.

Alex

I'll be voting Reform, I think Lsbour will win - just

klondike

It has been a very long time since anything you care to mention has been as bad as it is now.

Ashy - you reckon a small Conservative majority. Tell me a single good news story they can point to. I recall well the last time there was endless bad news (not as bad as now though) with a Conservative PM holding back on an election waiting for some good news. That was 1997.

Alex you reckon Labour will just scrape it.

I think the result will be close to that polling.

Ashy

Yes I can well see labour winning but I can't see them getting a majority of votes. Usually when politics is in the state it is, the turnout is low for a start. Many more seats become marginals. 
Quote from: klondike on August 09, 2023, 02:59:50 PMIt has been a very long time since anything you care to mention has been as bad as it is now.

Ashy - you reckon a small Conservative majority. Tell me a single good news story they can point to. I recall well the last time there was endless bad news (not as bad as now though) with a Conservative PM holding back on an election waiting for some good news. That was 1997.

Alex you reckon Labour will just scrape it.

I think the result will be close to that polling.
I may be wrong of course but I think in the past, where a government has had a large majority, the tendency is for the next government to have a smaller one. It's not guaranteed and I don't want either of the legacy parties to win again.

klondike

I'm sure you are right historically about a big majority being followed by a smaller one. I'm not sure that any government in my memory before the current one has made such a mess of everything though. Certainly the end of the Blair/Brown years was a mess but a lot of that mess was concealed and there was the banking collapse to blame.

This lot can point to covid but much of the economic disaster from that was down to their choices.

Scrumpy

I don't think Labour will win.. Conservatives have had a lot of bad press.. brought on by their own stupidity but Starmer is not popular.. 
If Reform are a choice then that is where my x will go..
 I think Conservative voters will hesitate in voting another party should their vote be a vote lost.. Therefore  putting Labour out in front.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

In 18 months we'll know I suppose. I'm expecting a big Labour majority unless something miraculous occurs. The way things are going if something miraculous does occur though it's as likely to give the Tories a further kicking.

I'll vote Reform but I'm under no illusions that there will be any Reform MPs.

Diasi

I can afford to vote for Reform as our Tory MP has a huge majority in a true blue agricultural constituency which I can't see them losing.

In a marginal seat I'm not a 100% sure I wouldn't have backed down & voted for the Tories as a vote for Reform won't really be a vote for Reform, it will be a default vote for Labour.

As bad as the current Tories are, they'll always be better than Labour.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

JBR

If Labour get in, the whole country will suffer.

I can only go with my conscience, and that is to vote for Reform.

Despite so many trying to assure me that Reform won't get many, if any, seats, I shall still vote for them.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on August 09, 2023, 08:26:03 PMIf Labour get in, the whole country will suffer.

I can only go with my conscience, and that is to vote for Reform.

Despite so many trying to assure me that Reform won't get many, if any, seats, I shall still vote for them.
I'll vote for Reform in the hopes that it'll cut the constituency down to near marginal.

I didn't vote Tory, & I assume many others Tories didn't, in the last local election & they were ousted by the LibDems so I don't suppose I've done our town any favours.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

The people who did your town no favour leading to the abysmal LibDems winning in the local election are the government in Westminster.

The two party system when the two parties involved are dire and the traditional potential protest party even worse is what has lead to nobody actually voting for who they wish to see in power but against those they certainly don't.

I imagine some comments I see here are completely in line with what the main body of the public feel and so the farce continues. The electorate will once again be getting the government it deserves.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 09, 2023, 10:30:27 PMThe people who did your town no favour leading to the abysmal LibDems winning in the local election are the government in Westminster.

The two party system when the two parties involved are dire and the traditional potential protest party even worse is what has lead to nobody actually voting for who they wish to see in power but against those they certainly don't.

I imagine some comments I see here are completely in line with what the main body of the public feel and so the farce continues. The electorate will once again be getting the government it deserves.

Yes, I have said the same.   Labour-Tories: Flip-flop politics.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

It is very hard to vote for a party who is not really in the running..
I can see my Reform vote being ( indirectly) a vote for Labour... 
Labour doesn't mind who you vote for as long as it is not Conservative..
 Unfortunately many Conservatives feel let down with their party..
They want change but fear the lost votes will be a vote for Labour..
So, they vote Conservative.. This makes the Government believe they have been getting it right... Hence they continue to get it wrong..