Translations

Started by JBR, July 23, 2023, 12:03:51 PM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

Quote from: Diasi on July 24, 2023, 01:26:23 PMWife no 3 was Scottish so I used to know a lot of the sayings but I've forgotten many of them over the years.

3: down the drain. Such as 'what a waste of money, you may as well have pissed it down the drain'.
4: I'm going to have a wash.
5: I can't remember what 'bridie' is but he's having it for his dinner.
6: where do you live?

Well done, and Alex is right, a bridie is similar to a pasty.  The onion 'ingin' ones are really tasty!

July 24, 2023, 06:18:28 PM
Quote from: klondike on July 24, 2023, 10:55:40 AMI think I'd do better if I actually heard it. Much better after a few pints  :grin:

Trouble is apart from the supposed accent I think there are words in there I don't recognise either.

GIEZAPIECENJAM might just be asking for bread or toast and jam

'SDOONTHECUNDIE I'd guess means tits up

WHARDAEYESTAY? might be where do I stay/go/stand

The rest are clearly complaints about a jock strap that is undersized.

A sandwich is a piece. Jam sandwich, mothers used to throw these to their kids from tenement windows!
Where do you live!

Sorry, jock straps don't feature. 😁

Finally, no 2. What do they cry you? What is your name?
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

The EYE in WHARDAEYESTAY? fooled me. 

Reinforces that hearing would have helped. Although to me Italian is just blublublblulblub in languages like French and German which I did in school I can at least pick out the words even if I never knew or have forgotten what most of them mean and I'd do that with ease with a Scot talking so I'd hear WHAR DAE YE STAY even though it was probably just a stream of sound.

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on July 24, 2023, 06:29:02 PMThe EYE in WHARDAEYESTAY? fooled me.

Reinforces that hearing would have helped. Although to me Italian is just blublublblulblub in languages like French and German which I did in school I can at least pick out the words even if I never knew or have forgotten what most of them mean and I'd do that with ease with a Scot talking so I'd hear WHAR DAE YE STAY even though it was probably just a stream of sound.
You're right about hearing it. Just to add, 'stay' is often used in place of 'live'.

July 24, 2023, 08:20:56 PM
Quote from: Scrumpy on July 24, 2023, 10:57:45 AMDel boy sayings..

1.  Mange tout
2.  Creme de la menthe
3.  Pot pourri
4.  Mon dieu
5.  Au revoir
6.  Au contraire
7.  Bonjour
8.  Bain marie
9. Bonnet de douch
10. Cushtie

Love Del boy. Only Fools was brilliant.  Loved Granddad too. I think my favourite episode was the chandeliers.

Scrumpy

And the one when he fell through the club bar.. Standing with Trigger..
We still refer to Triggers broom when something is not as it started out .....  original.. 

GrannyMac

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 25, 2023, 06:20:55 PMAnd the one when he fell through the club bar.. Standing with Trigger..
We still refer to Triggers broom when something is not as it started out .....  original..
Yes! So many really funny moments.  Raquel singing a duet with Tony who couldn't pronounce his 'r's! Cwying! 😁.  And Batman and Robin in the mist.

Michael Rolls

Batman & Robin - priceless - and the bar fall. Never forget the introduction of Trig
D- we call him Trigger
R - why, has he got a gun?
D- No - cos 'e looks like a horse
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

1955vintage

I liked Trigger and petrol prices. Didn't affect him when it went up cos he still only put £20 worth in.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Scrumpy

GrannyMac

I'm laughing just remembering some of them! 😂😂