Mini election

Started by klondike, July 18, 2023, 08:43:42 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Three by-elections  coming this Thursday. Two big Tory majorities and Boris's old seat with a modest one.

Will there be a huge shock? Will the Tories actually hold one or more of them by more than the skin on their teeth? Will Rishi's charm put paid to the doubters?

:pmf:

Alex

Labour is ahead in Uxbridge, but when it comes to actually putting the tick in the box, the good Tories of Uxbridge may chicken out, Boris is a hard act to follow.  Perhaps the LibDems will sneak in at the other two, although as you say, both have large Tory majorities.

Ashy

Unfortunately this PM will take any vote as an endorsement of himself.

Alex

Lawrence Fox is standing in Uxbridge for the Reclaim Party, not to be confused with the Reform Party - it's easily done ! :grin:

Jacqueline

Why don't Reform, Reclaim, UKIP etc. all join forces, after all they are similar in policies, pointless in splitting the votes that they desperately need, they will never win at this rate and we will be stuck with the same old lot.

JBR

Quote from: Jacqueline on July 18, 2023, 06:56:21 PMWhy don't Reform, Reclaim, UKIP etc. all join forces, after all they are similar in policies, pointless in splitting the votes that they desperately need, they will never win at this rate and we will be stuck with the same old lot.
I have heard the Reform and Reclaim are going to form a union which would make them able, collectively, to stand in every constituency in the general election.
Consequently, they are not trying to split the votes.

Despite that, I understand that the Scots don't want either and are more likely to vote for the SNP again (though I don't know about the Shetlands and Orkneys!).

Oh, and there is no longer a UKIP, presumably because we have already  achieved independence of the EU - nominally!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Where did you hear about Reform and Reclaim joining forces ?  Some time ago I read that Richard Tice wouldn't join up with Lawrence Fox because of....... and now I can't remember what the reason was !  :grin:  :grin:

If what you say is correct then that will be brilliant ! :upvote:

klondike

Reclaim are primarily anti woke I think. Reform have a wide range of ideas. Maybe because there are more of them than Lawrence Fox and the bloke the Tories booted out who became a Reclaim MP.

Jacqueline

Quote from: JBR on July 18, 2023, 07:17:39 PMI have heard the Reform and Reclaim are going to form a union which would make them able, collectively, to stand in every constituency in the general election.
Consequently, they are not trying to split the votes.

Despite that, I understand that the Scots don't want either and are more likely to vote for the SNP again (though I don't know about the Shetlands and Orkneys!).

Oh, and there is no longer a UKIP, presumably because we have already  achieved independence of the EU - nominally!
UKIP are still going, saw them out recently.

How could the Scottish people possibly vote for the SNP after the mess they have made.  I suppose like here in Wales people will still vote for  Labour even thought they are ruining us. 

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Which is more bad news for Rishi. Still he'll get to appoint a few mates to the Lords and his lifetime pension will top up his wife's millions so he won't go cold or hungry. Unlike many voters.

Raven

Well we certainly won't be voting Labour, up here we call them "The Red Tories" they are hated as much as the "Blue Tories"
I really don't know how or even if we'll vote this time. Both of us along with many have lost all trust in every Politician.

JBR

Quote from: Jacqueline on July 19, 2023, 12:01:58 AMUKIP are still going, saw them out recently.

How could the Scottish people possibly vote for the SNP after the mess they have made.  I suppose like here in Wales people will still vote for  Labour even thought they are ruining us.
Really?  I thought they had morphed into Reform UK.

Well, therein lies a problem.  We now appear to have three new parties, all with the same ideas and leanings: Reform, Reclaim, and UKIP.
To the best of my knowledge, they are the only people who would stand any chance of reversing all the damage caused to this country since the new millennium began.

I have heard it said that Reform and Reclaim intend to unite in the next GE, in order to stand in more constituencies.  As I said, I was unaware of the continuation of UKIP, but surely it would be advantageous to all three if they, too, were to join the projected union.

As the days go by, I read more and more people stating that they have lost all confidence in the Conservatives, and have never had any confidence in Labour!  Yet some continue to believe that those two parties are our only options in the next GE.

We shall see and, sadly, I can see the country sinking even further due to most people's votes.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire