Just when you thought things can't get dafter

Started by klondike, July 13, 2023, 11:04:02 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

'It's time to stop!' Outrage as UK hands China almost £50million in foreign aid

The handouts come amid tense relations between the UK and the communist superpower.

Sir Iain Duncan Smith insisted it is time to stop giving China foreign aid after it emerged Britain sent nearly £50million last year.A  new report by the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (ICAI) found that overseas aid to Beijing was around £48million in 2021/22.The watchdog also raised concerns about a lack of transparency in how the money is spent.

Former Tory leader Sir Iain described the handouts to Beijing as "bizarre" and called for the cash to be diverted to countries more in need.The China hawk told the Express: "China is now the second largest economy in the world. It seems bizarre that we would be giving aid to China given their own financial position. Whatever else the Government says it's time for that to stop and for that aid to be given to countries that genuinely need the assistance and help in developing their economies."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1790470/china-foreign-aid-iain-duncan-smith

Still looking on the bright side it's less than a couple of weeks hotel bills for the dinghy boys.

Alex

I saw that earlier, but seem to remember we've been complaining about money going to China for years now, nothing changes.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Keeping on their good side? It does seem crackers though. 😕
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

It isn't enough to actually "keep on their good side". It clearly just comes out of some number cranking BS that decides how to dish out the money Cameron decided we needed to keep giving away at a rather high proportion on GDP.

Diasi

I don't want anyone upsetting China & jeopardising my 'cheap as chips' tech gadgets.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Quote from: Diasi on July 14, 2023, 08:38:49 AMI don't want anyone upsetting China & jeopardising my 'cheap as chips' tech gadgets.  :grin:

I don't mind paying my taxes if the money is helping a (White) True Blue from this country...  :grin: :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Given that so many Johnny foreigners want to come over here, maybe we ought to redirect foreign aid back to these shores?

klondike

Sunak is proposing higher Visa fees to pay for the civil servants pay rise now. I'd rather reduce the number of civil servants and immigrants.