Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Started by klondike, June 25, 2023, 08:51:59 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Well probably not but what can Starmer be thinking? This bloke is just so tainted...

Tony Blair 'could return to frontline politics' if Keir Starmer wins next election

Speculation surged last week that Sir Tony could return to frontline politics when Sir Keir did not rule out a peerage for the former leader so he could serve in the Lords.

Sir Tony Blair could return as one of the most powerful figures in politics if Sir Keir Starmer leads Labour to an election victory. The prospect has sparked fears of closer ties with the EU.

The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change is seen as an ideas factory, with shelves of ready-made policies for a future Labour Government.

The Institute last week set out proposals for a new "special partnership between the UK and the EU". It calls for the Government to commit to align British regulations on goods and food safety standards with those of the EU.

Speculation surged last week that Sir Tony – who turned 70 in May – could return to frontline politics when Sir Keir did not rule out a peerage for the former leader so he could serve in the Lords.

Former environment secretary Theresa Villiers said: "The return of Tony Blair's influence is another reason why a Labour government would be bad for Britain."

Nick Wood, a former communications director for the Tories who now chairs the MIP public relations firm, said: "The most worrying aspect of Blair exercising serious influence over Starmer is that Blair is obsessed with Europe.

"The real project will be dragging Britain back into the Euro-pean orbit."

However, a senior Labour source said Britain has changed radically since New Labour of the 1990s.

"There's no future in the past. The world Blair inhabited is alien to the world the new Labour government will inherit."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1784141/tony-blair-labour-return-keir-starmer

The Express seem to be bigging this up as a peerage is hardly frontline politics. On the bright side as I now watch no live TV my slower reflexes on the old remote probably won't matter.

Ashy

Sheila

Hopefully that threat will stop people from voting Labour.  I will vote Reform.

I don't like or trust politicians.

klondike

The amusing thing abouth this is that Johnson got bunged out of his job for lying to Parliament  :rofl:

I also read that Alastair Cambell's appearance on celebrity Gogglebox drew complaints.

They should both be in jail. Preferably dangling from ropes but I'd settle for in cells.

JBR

BLiar coming back into politics would be the final nail in the UK's coffin.
He is the one leader who has caused more damage to this country than any other.
If he does enter the Commons on the government benches, I'm afraid I shall be unable to resist throwing something big and heavy at the TV screen.

As others have said, and I have seen similar promises elsewhere, I shall be voting for Reform.
With both the Tories and Labour now being seen to be not only failures but dangerous failures, surely most sensible people would not vote for them now.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

the way I see it, voting Tory is rewarding failure. Voting Labout is inviting catastrophe.  :yell:  :yell:  :yell:
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

A single vote is unlikely to alter any outcomes. Why not vote as conscience dictates. It will probably all be going to ratshit regardless of what you do but at least there won't be any bad taste left in your mouth over who got your vote.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on June 25, 2023, 09:16:16 AMThe amusing thing abouth this is that Johnson got bunged out of his job for lying to Parliament  :rofl:

I've never understood why Bliar wasn't charged & convicted of lying & misleading Parliament with his fabricated claims about WMDs, which is what he used to get Parliament to support the war with Iraq.

Meanwhile Johnson is kicked out for eating a piece of cake & having a few drinks.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on June 25, 2023, 12:38:56 PMI've never understood why Bliar wasn't charged & convicted of lying & misleading Parliament with his fabricated claims about WMDs, which is what he used to get Parliament to support the war with Iraq.

Meanwhile Johnson is kicked out for eating a piece of cake & having a few drinks.
I agree.  Greasy Bliar escaped any punishment, but Boris didn't.  How fair is that?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Jacqueline

How come he still has such power and influence? awful man should have been prosecuted for war crimes long ago. Reform for me too.

klondike

Ashy

He's one of the front men for some very rich people.

1955vintage

The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off