I had wondered if this was a possibility for Boris...

Started by klondike, June 12, 2023, 09:51:44 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

... but dismissed it as Farage has never really had a good word to say about him.

Farage Floats Alliance with Boris to Preserve 'Brexit Legacy' and Take On Fake Conservatives

Brexit leader Nigel Farage has suggested an alliance between former Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his Reform Party to take on the corporatist-globalist Conservative Party and protect the legacy of Brexit from the leftist Labour Party.

Nigel Farage said that he does not believe that Boris Johnson has "any future" with the Conservative Party following his cantankerous and unceremonious resignation from Parliament this week amid the possibility of being censured for breaching the lockdown rules that his government imposed upon the public.

However, opening the door to yet another alliance, Mr Farage said that there is a road open to Boris to make a political comeback "if he wants to" and — perhaps more crucially — if Johnson is willing to backtrack on the neo-liberal globalist positions he embraced during his time in Number 10.

Farage said that given the Conservative Party's transformation into a "full-on social democrat party", there is currently a "very big opening in British politics" to the right of the Tories for a third party, such as the Reform Party — formerly the Brexit Party — which Farage founded. The seasoned political campaigner voiced his idea that the gap between establishment parties and people is now wider than it was a decade ago when he turned politics upside down as UKIP leader.

"I disagree with Boris Johnson fundamentally on many of his Metro liberal views but if anybody can turn on a sixpence and say they now believe in something completely different it's Boris Johnson," he said on GB News. "The important thing to remember is this on the biggest issue of our age... Brexit that Boris actually was on the same side as myself."

Mr Farage said in light of the likelihood of the left-wing Labour Party winning the next general election given the shambles the Tories find themselves, the politician turned tv presenter warned that his and Johnson's services might be required to preserve the "legacy of Brexit".

I have a lot of reservations about Boris with his virtually open borders views on migration.
Net Zero lunacy.
Brexit failings past the first step.

Alex

Can't see this as an alliance.  Richard Tice wouldn't go for it for a start, he's red hot anti net zero unlike Boris who couldn't go against his wife :smiley: .  Nigel is up for anything that will get him in the news and I say that as a fan :grin:

Raven

Boris needs to come out of his tail spin, take a few deep breaths and start thinking sensibly about how he's going to deal with things.

Diasi

Speaking as an ex-Tory Party member I think Nigel's suggestion has a lot of merit.

Forget the news media that will try & gull you into thinking that the Tory Party is glad to see the back of Boris Johnson as it's mainly the Remainer Tory MPS & CCHQ.

Reform has already got tens of thousands of ex-Tory grass roots members who joined Reform when Sunak was foisted on us.

If Boris did throw his hat in with Reform they'd stand a good chance of getting some seats as droves of disgruntled ex-Tories, who might not have bothered voting for Tice, would vote for Johnson.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on June 12, 2023, 10:31:22 AMIf Boris did throw his hat in with Reform they'd stand a good chance of getting some seats as droves of disgruntled ex-Tories, who might not have bothered voting for Tice, would vote for Johnson.
That was my view but Boris absolutely has to ditch his viewpoints on the stuff I mentioned in the initial post - net zero and immigration plus make his mind up on Brexit which it seems to me was more of a means to an end (Boris in No 10) than any real ideological abhorrence of the EU which any genuine Brexiteer would have. 

I can't see it happening though - Boris would want to be Top Dog and other than popularity with some (many?) he really doesn't have a great deal to offer imo. That is probably enough but I'm not sure. His other main failing is his unfamiliarity with the truth and just saying what he thinks people want to hear. As some may have noticed with some of my antagonism to the PF Pensions advisor I have an allergy to liars.

Raven

I agree with what you say Klondike and that makes my own post even more to the point.

Cassandra

His wife won't let him, she'd rather he stands for Brighton & Hove as a Green!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

Nigel Farage seems to have much to say.. but... what does he actually do.. !!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

He's done what his life work was. We'd still be in the bloody EU if it weren't for him. That's why the establishment absolutely hates him.

GHF

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 13, 2023, 08:37:27 AMNigel Farage seems to have much to say.. but... what does he actually do.. !!
He will never hook up with BJ the size of their egos they'd 
need a room each, even if they could get their heads through
 a door.  :smiley:

JBR

Quote from: GHF on June 17, 2023, 03:12:01 PMHe will never hook up with BJ the size of their egos they'd
need a room each, even if they could get their heads through
 a door.  :smiley:
I do believe that if Nigel were ever to be elected as an MP, he'd have plenty to say and much to contribute.
I also think that he'll be more believable and trustworthy than Boris.
If we're lucky, we shall see.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GHF

Quote from: JBR on June 17, 2023, 03:45:47 PMI do believe that if Nigel were ever to be elected as an MP, he'd have plenty to say and much to contribute.
I also think that he'll be more believable and trustworthy than Boris.
If we're lucky, we shall see.
I must admit I read Nigel's book and he seems an improvement
on BJ.

JBR

Quote from: GHF on June 17, 2023, 06:31:35 PMI must admit I read Nigel's book and he seems an improvement
on BJ.
I'm afraid I haven't read Nigel's book, but I have heard him speak on several occasions including, of course, when he was a member of the EU parliament.
What he says makes a great deal of sense, and the way he speaks he comes across as very persuasive.

I'd really like to see him stand for election, again, in this country.  Hopefully, there will be no promised alliances with the Conservative party next time, now he (and we) know better than to trust them.

I may have mentioned before that one reason, I believe, that the Conservatives have been failing to run the country properly is that many of the 'Conservative' MPs now in the government are actually Liberals who have managed to stand for, and get elected, as part of the Conservative party.  Of course, they have worked against the true right-wingers and helped to prevent any progressive moves by them.

If the Conservatives can determine exactly which the interlopers are, perhaps before the next GE they can publicise the matter and then, hopefully, stand the genuine ones at the next election.  If Reform and Reclaim are concerned about a lack of support, perhaps another alliance with the true Conservatives might be proposed.

Of course, they - and we - would have to be sure that the failed promises played by the Conservatives last time which persuaded Reform to not stand should not take place.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

All wishful thinking unfortunately.  I do believe we're in for a Labour government.

klondike

Yep.  If the non-conserative Conservative Party got destroyed we can rely on  Labour trying to sod things up as badly as the current bunch. That might make the voters actually think before putting their little cross in the same box they always have and giving us a halfway decent government. Well I can dream can't I?