Not Quite So Mothballed As One Might Think.

Started by Raven, May 07, 2023, 11:10:14 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Jacqueline on May 08, 2023, 06:44:08 PMCome on guys, the Welsh don't want independence in fact many people here in Wales would like to scrap the Welsh Assembly and think it's a waste of time and money.

On the first vote in 1979 to see if there was support for an Assembly in Wales it was 20.26% Yes and a wopping 79.74 NO. 

The 1997 vote was very close, 50.30% Yes and 49.70% NO, so we got the bloody Assmbley and god knows how much it costs to administer, the awful building in Cardiff alone cost a fortune  which would have built as hospital or two.

It's only the Plaid Cymru lot (who I have the misfortune of being represented by where I live) and the Welsh Greens (says it all) who want independence,  even my Welsh speaking neighbours have no time for Plaid Cymru and voted for UKIP.

Weren't these 'devolved governments', in Wales and Scotland, one of Bliar's bright ideas.
Probably the Mayor of Londonistan likewise?
Completely unnecessary, in my opinion, and costing the UK a lot of money we could make sensible use of.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

The mayor of Londonistan and the Assembly were indeed Bliar's impositions, as I recall we used voting machines to cast our virtual votes. The idea was to find a labour hack to fill the post but Ken Livingstone won as an independent.