Not Quite So Mothballed As One Might Think.

Started by Raven, May 07, 2023, 11:10:14 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

I'd known this march was happening for months now, I hear from lots of people that Independance has been forgotten due to the antics of some SNP Ministers. But it's not about to turn tail and go away after all. Hugely attended and on Coronation Day as well. There's no one more surprised then me. :clap:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65491648

klondike

The only thing I'd remind you of is that it didn't pass last time and I really can't see that the SNP is inspiring the electorate that they'd be better off with them in sole charge.

Raven

I totally agree with you, now is not the time, but it will come eventually.

Diasi

Well since Scotland seems to be anti-royal I'm on side & hope it does get it's independence, along with Wales & the reunification of Ireland.

I also want to see the Commonwealth collapse & then Charlie jug tabs will end up with just England.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

morty

Actually, I agree. I've come to the conclusion that if the Scots dislike us so much, meaning the English, then yes, let them go it alone. Scots always seem to moan that they feel theyare second rate citizens and are treated badly. 

It goes without saying that the excessive handouts they receive from the Barnett formula should cease immediately, that they cease to have any representation down in Westminister, that they fund the changeover to their own currency and not ride on the back of a stable currency such as Sterling. 
And that they make their own arrangements for their defence and internal security and shoulder the costs of any transition.

So I say ..yes. Go for it. Why not. 
I'm not too keen on the way Scotland is going with some of it's outlandish wokey legislation. 
It seems to have lost it's way or is going in a different direction to the rest of the UK.

Add to which, perhaps they wish to try to rejoin the EU, swapping one club for another club ...  and gain the same status and financial grants that countries like Poland have benefited from. They've received billions in aid and their infrastructure, roads, hospitals, railways, health service and education establishments has had billions of EU cash pumped into it. 

As to Wales? The same. I have no problem with independence for them too if that's what they want ... 
I wish them the best of luck. 

May 07, 2023, 08:27:44 PM
Quote from: Diasi on May 07, 2023, 05:52:18 PMI also want to see the Commonwealth collapse & then Charlie jug tabs will end up with just England.

Whilst I can see why smaller islands like Antigua or British Dependencies willinglingly suffer the Commonwealth I've never understood why countries like New Zealand, Canada and Australia don't fight to get out of it.
It must be weird having your own laws, currency, Parliament ... yet your Head of State is a unelected foreigner.

Ashy

I'd be surprised if there weren't proportionally similar numbers of Scottish people who were monarchists as are found in England.

morty

Funny when you think about it ... if James VI of Scotland hadn't become James I of England ...or, even if he had  .. had stayed up in Holyrood and kept that as his seat of government and Edinburgh as his main capital I wonder how things would have worked out.

It's a funny old world.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Ashy on May 07, 2023, 09:45:09 PMI'd be surprised if there weren't proportionally similar numbers of Scottish people who were monarchists as are found in England.
Of course there are.  Remember the turnout in Scotland for the Queen's cortege? As a Scot living in the North of England, I've found little difference in the make up of society. However, I think there is growing disgruntlement about the extra funding (roughly £126 per person against £100 in England) https://www.deliveringforscotland.gov.uk/scotland-in-the-uk/public-spending/

I also think some Scottish taxpayers are unhappy at having to pay more income tax and NI than their equivalents here. 

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

1955vintage

There have been more Scots as King of England that Englishmen over the last 1000 years. The current batch are of good German stock , before that Dutch, Scots and the French Vikings from Normandy.

And yet it is always the English who get blamed. :wtf:
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Diasi

Quote from: morty on May 07, 2023, 08:20:15 PMActually, I agree. I've come to the conclusion that if the Scots dislike us so much, meaning the English, then yes, let them go it alone. Scots always seem to moan that they feel theyare second rate citizens and are treated badly.

It goes without saying that the excessive handouts they receive from the Barnett formula should cease immediately, that they cease to have any representation down in Westminister, that they fund the changeover to their own currency and not ride on the back of a stable currency such as Sterling.
And that they make their own arrangements for their defence and internal security and shoulder the costs of any transition.

So I say ..yes. Go for it. Why not.
I'm not too keen on the way Scotland is going with some of it's outlandish wokey legislation.
It seems to have lost it's way or is going in a different direction to the rest of the UK.

Add to which, perhaps they wish to try to rejoin the EU, swapping one club for another club ...  and gain the same status and financial grants that countries like Poland have benefited from. They've received billions in aid and their infrastructure, roads, hospitals, railways, health service and education establishments has had billions of EU cash pumped into it.

As to Wales? The same. I have no problem with independence for them too if that's what they want ...
I wish them the best of luck.

May 07, 2023, 08:27:44 PM
Whilst I can see why smaller islands like Antigua or British Dependencies willinglingly suffer the Commonwealth I've never understood why countries like New Zealand, Canada and Australia don't fight to get out of it.
It must be weird having your own laws, currency, Parliament ... yet your Head of State is a unelected foreigner.
What's always annoyed me is that I support countries becoming independent from the Commonwealth but then they go down the pan & hold out their begging bowls.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 08, 2023, 07:36:23 AMOf course there are.  Remember the turnout in Scotland for the Queen's cortege? As a Scot living in the North of England, I've found little difference in the make up of society. However, I think there is growing disgruntlement about the extra funding (roughly £126 per person against £100 in England) https://www.deliveringforscotland.gov.uk/scotland-in-the-uk/public-spending/

I also think some Scottish taxpayers are unhappy at having to pay more income tax and NI than their equivalents here

To be honest, I can't understand the disparity here.
Apparently, the Scots receive more funding from central government than received by the English, yet they have to pay more income tax and NI than we do.
Can anyone attempt to explain this?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Ashy

I gather Scots can have free prescriptions and free university tuition. For which they have to pay.

Jacqueline

Come on guys, the Welsh don't want independence in fact many people here in Wales would like to scrap the Welsh Assembly and think it's a waste of time and money. 

On the first vote in 1979 to see if there was support for an Assembly in Wales it was 20.26% Yes and a wopping 79.74 NO.  

The 1997 vote was very close, 50.30% Yes and 49.70% NO, so we got the bloody Assmbley and god knows how much it costs to administer, the awful building in Cardiff alone cost a fortune  which would have built as hospital or two.

It's only the Plaid Cymru lot (who I have the misfortune of being represented by where I live) and the Welsh Greens (says it all) who want independence,  even my Welsh speaking neighbours have no time for Plaid Cymru and voted for UKIP. 

GrannyMac

Quote from: Ashy on May 08, 2023, 05:23:07 PMI gather Scots can have free prescriptions and free university tuition. For which they have to pay.
Quote from: JBR on May 08, 2023, 04:07:15 PMTo be honest, I can't understand the disparity here.
Apparently, the Scots receive more funding from central government than received by the English, yet they have to pay more income tax and NI than we do.
Can anyone attempt to explain this?
Bigger benefits for non tax payers?  There's also a child payment in Scotland of £25 for each child up to 16 years of age if their parents are on means tested benefits. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖