The Good Old Days Were Weird Too ..

Started by morty, March 31, 2023, 08:34:09 PM

« previous - next »

morty

Pedestrian safety device demonstrated - Berlin 1927. Germany.
Erm .. looks great fun.

klondike

I suspect it wouldn't at modern speeds  :grin:

Odd that it's Berlin and the title boards are in French

dextrous63

I wonder how many dead bodies were out of camera shot for when they got the speed wrong

Alex

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

morty

Never do a three point turn ever again!

A great invention from 1927 shows a novel vehicle in Paris where the front wheel enables automobiles to turn in own length and sidle in and out of any parking place.

April 01, 2023, 02:23:51 PM
And the British answer to the German Pedestrian Scoop 

Scrumpy

I am not too hot at reverse parking.. When I go to a car park I search around for a forward drive in.. so I can forward drive out.
My brother -in -law used to say.. ' Blimey you could get a double decker bus through there.'.. when I was having a problem parking..
Aren't men clever..!! 
Just like to add that he had more scratches on his motor ..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I use the same technique. Why make life harder than it needs to be. Forward in or reverse in got a very long going over some time back. Not sure if it was here or on the mothership.

Alex

That was a long time ago !  The only problem with reversing in, is if someone comes along and parks right up your rear end, it's hard to get the shopping in the boot.  One person said it's quicker reversing in as you can drive straight out. But it still takes longer to reverse in than it does to just drive in, so it's swings and roundabouts on time I think. :grin:

morty

I don't drive (thank God) ... but as a total ignoramus I'd have thought it's better to drive out forward if you live, say, on a busy road and need to nip out of your drive quick... at least reversing in, coming home, you're already on the road and amongst the traffic.
Enough to give anyone grey hair thesedays I should think.

Raven

I always reverse into my drive when I'm in Perth, :halo: I was taught it was illegal to reverse out onto the main road. It would be difficult anyway as it's a busy road and getting a gap can take a while, especially at rush hours. Great at the farm, huge parking area, just drive in and abandon the car where you feel like it.  :wink:

klondike

Quote from: Alex on April 01, 2023, 06:53:46 PMThat was a long time ago !  The only problem with reversing in, is if someone comes along and parks right up your rear end, it's hard to get the shopping in the boot. 
Yes I don't do drive throughs if the shop needs the boot they are used when it's one small bag or box. It's also a reason I don't reverse in. The main reason though is a lot less accuracy is needed reversing out. The downside is idiots assuming you have 360 degree vision walking behind your car when you are already moving out.