Just not us is it

Started by klondike, March 09, 2023, 02:46:40 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

The French are revolting

Riots Break Out, Strikers Block Fuel Refineries as Millions Protest in France Against Pension Reforms

Violent riots and economically damaging activist actions broke out in France on Tuesday as the country saw one of its biggest mass mobilisations of protesters in years in response to President Emmanuel Macron's plan to raise the pension age from 62 to 64 years old.

Millions of people took part in protests across 200 towns and cities in France on Tuesday, with the organising CGT union claiming that up to 3.5 million people flooded out onto the streets, while the French Interior Ministry put the number at around 1.28 million.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/03/08/watch-riots-break-out-strikers-block-fuel-refineries-as-millions-protest-in-france-against-pension-reforms/

The story is about pension age in France but my post isn't. It's about the French willingness to take to the streets and protest, often violently, about government actions and policies they disagree with. Brits normally don't do that do we.

I wonder if this is why our governments do just what they damned well like and to a very large degree public opinion counts for nowt. A month or so before an election they'll all make huge promises to appease the public mood then fail dismally to deliver if they even try.

Do we get the governments that we deserve?

Jacqueline

It puzzles me why we don't do as the French do, they don't let their government walk all over them, we just take what's dished out to us, we might moan a bit but do next to nothing about it we just take it.  Our government think they can get away with anything because the people let them. They got the shock of their lives when we had the cheek to vote Brexit, and they still tried to wriggle out of it, we are not out properly yet.

I don't understand why we are such a gutless lot, it's only when the government get worried about mass public opinion i.e. illegal immigration that they actually do something (or give the impression that they are).  I think the only reason they helped in the cost of living crisis is that they were worried that because people couldn't afford to live or feed their children they may take to the streets.

Maybe we should learn from the French and let the government know in no uncertain terms that we are not pushovers.

Alex

The French have always been like this, apart from when the Germans invaded the country.  I'll never forget them setting fire to British lorries that had live sheep in them.  I have no time for the French.

Having said that, if we didn't have so many lefty do gooders in this country, perhaps we too could take to the streets.  Every time there is a demo there's always a counter demo here, the lefties must be on the internet all day looking for rally/demo detais !

Jacqueline

Yes Alex, the lefties seem to have the time to do it, our working class people who usually take all the flack, i.e. illegals in local hotels, are busy out working, something these lefties never seem to appear to do.   

Michael Rolls

why are we, as a nation. so subservient?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]