Jeffrey Archer..

Started by Scrumpy, October 05, 2022, 10:19:41 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

You are entirely welcome to your own opinion and welcome to express it too. If there was 100% agreement on everything all the time it would be a boring place indeed.

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 05, 2022, 12:14:48 PMGhastly man.. Worth hundreds of millions...

Wasn't he the guy who approached the prostitute.. somewhere..?

Yes he offered her the sum of £2,000 in a brown envelope to 'forget' a joint experience. Thereafter 2 grand has become alternatively known as an 'Archer'.

He perjured himself over this matter and was sent to prison in July 2001 sentenced to four years for that crime and also for perverting the course of justice.

Good writer who it seems conflated his fiction into what he saw as reality.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

2,000 grand.. known as the Archer..
I never knew that.. Great stuff.

October 06, 2022, 08:07:47 AM
Quote from: Malvina on October 05, 2022, 08:49:56 PMI agree,and fair enough...as long as I'm not expected to agree with the majority..I am..after all an Independent Woman..in more ways than one. :upvote:

Malvina..I too am an independent woman and don't always agree with the majority..  It is good to have a variety of members on here..  Threads can change dramatically.. Starting off about knitting toilet roll holders and ending up about blokes wearing skirts.. :wink:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

The question about whether you would read an author's books if you disliked the author is similar to whether you believe that any work of art should be destroyed or hidden because you dislike the artist. Eric Gill comes to mind.

klondike

I've never read an Archer book.  
I don't like pompous liars like Archer with his Trusty Sword of Truth 
The two facts are unrelated. 
I have no clue about the personality of most of the authors I have read and in the main don't care.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on October 06, 2022, 09:37:31 AMI've never read an Archer book. 
I don't like pompous liars like Archer with his Trusty Sword of Truth
The two facts are unrelated.
I have no clue about the personality of most of the authors I have read and in the main don't care.

It was actually The now very Reverend Jonathan Aitken who protested allegations from The Guardian in 1995 of  'Outrageous falsehoods' and 'A confusing old-hat re-hash' of earlier charges about a stay at the Paris Ritz, involving three business associates of the Saudi royal family.

He did not meet the businessmen, who did not stay at the Ritz and therefore he never arranged 'ladies of the night' for them as they didn't exist.

All proven to be lies.

He proclaimed that:

"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted journalism in our country with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight is against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon."

Charged with perjury and perverting the course of justice and after pleading guilty on 8 June 1999 to both offences, Aitken was sentenced to jail for 18 months of which he served almost seven, as a custodial sentence. While Aitken was sentenced Mr Justice Scott Baker said "the accused had breached trust inexcusably." Scott Baker told Aitken, "For nearly four years you wove a web of deceit in which you entangled yourself and from which there was no way out unless you were prepared to come clean and tell the truth. Unfortunately you were not."

"He 'achieved' bankruptcy as many of his assets turned out to be conveniently owned by other people and so he escaped paying The Guardian Newspaper's costs in the action which saw him go down.

Aitken later became the honorary president of Christian Solidarity Worldwide.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

Quote from: Ashy on October 06, 2022, 08:36:26 AMThe question about whether you would read an author's books if you disliked the author is similar to whether you believe that any work of art should be destroyed or hidden because you dislike the artist. Eric Gill comes to mind.
I don't think any book or art work should be destroyed simply because one doesn't like the author/ artist.. That would be foolish..  Simply saying that I do not like Jeffrey Archer and would not read/ buy any of his works..
I am not knocking anyone who does.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

1955vintage

I can not abide Archer but I thoroughly enjoy his books.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off