Latest on the channel crossings

Started by Alex, August 29, 2022, 08:08:23 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

That's what the points system was supposed to tackle. Trouble is the bar seems to be set at 100 points and you get 99 for breathing.

We live in a time when intelligent people are silenced so that stupid people won't be offended

JBR

Quote from: Jacqueline on September 19, 2022, 12:17:23 AMWith one million new NI numbers handed out last year, its uncontrolled legal immigration that needs tackeling too, we don't need anymore foriegn barbers or chinese nailbar workers. Only essential immigrants like doctors and nurses should be allowed in.
Yes, I agree.  Not only the illegals, but we are apparently inviting in many more legally.
One thing is certain, though.  As the country becomes even more over-populated, and things change for the worse, I'm sure that we shall see a mass exodus: this time, of the more beneficial and well-off people.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Flying Bomb

Quote from: JBR on September 19, 2022, 11:17:12 AMYes, I agree.  Not only the illegals, but we are apparently inviting in many more legally.
One thing is certain, though.  As the country becomes even more over-populated, and things change for the worse, I'm sure that we shall see a mass exodus: this time, of the more beneficial and well-off people.

Yes if I was young and well off, I'd be gone.  But where? 

JBR

New Zealand, Australia or perhaps Canada, or possibly one or two European countries such as Denmark or Switzerland.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

Quote from: Oi you! on September 19, 2022, 08:13:42 AMThat's what the points system was supposed to tackle. Trouble is the bar seems to be set at 100 points and you get 99 for breathing.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the points system only applies to visa applicants. They are the ones who apply via the legal route.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-points-based-immigration-system-employer-information/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-an-introduction-for-employers

The channel crossers claim asylum.  However the points system works it has no bearing on them.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I know. I was replying to the preceding post...

Quote from: Jacqueline on September 19, 2022, 12:17:23 AMWith one million new NI numbers handed out last year, its uncontrolled legal immigration that needs tackeling too, we don't need anymore foriegn barbers or chinese nailbar workers. Only essential immigrants like doctors and nurses should be allowed in.

We live in a time when intelligent people are silenced so that stupid people won't be offended

Alex

Friday's arrivals of 656 brought the total to 32,321 for this year so far - that we know of.

Special tents have been put up at Dover to keep the migrants covered while they are processed because the existing facilities are full to capacity.

I heard this morning that Liz Truss is to relax immigration rules because of labour shortages in UK.  Her proposals face resistance from  Brexiters including the home secretary, Suella Braverman and the trade secretary, Kemi Badenoch.  Badenoch is opposing proposals for a "freedom of movement" agreement with the Indian government as part of a trade deal she is negotiating.   :wtf:

klondike

She may as well ask Starmer round to measure for curtains from the sound of that. 

Alex

Quote from: klondike on September 25, 2022, 03:56:31 PMShe may as well ask Starmer round to measure for curtains from the sound of that.

😁😁😁  and wallpaper

Michael Rolls

yes, I couldn't believe it when I read it - what the hell is she thinking?
Mike (or is she thinking?)
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

It's the growth thing. Every legal migrant increases GDP. The numbers piss off Tory voters though which is why there is a bit of a cabinet revolt.

GrannyMac

Yes klondike. And doesn't it make sense to bring in people who can fill all the job vacancies in health and social care if we haven't got enough here? Educated migrants willing to work perhaps?  I'm not saying I like it.

There was a huge recruitment exhibition for the NHS here recently. Apprenticeships, training, jobs on offer. Lots of other businesses have vacancies, and yet we still have unemployment.

Let's not confuse migrants entering via the points system with those who are fetching up uninvited on the Kent coast.

klondike

The points system is too lax though or so it seems. Legal inward migration is close to a million. She also mentioned extending the 6 month fruit picking time limit. 

Alex

The Home Office released visa, asylum and immigration statistics for the year to June 2022.

1.1 million visas were granted for people to come and live in the UK (a rise of more than half a million when compared with the year to June 2019 – before the pandemic.)

It is the highest number of visas for people to come and live here ever issued in one year, suggesting that despite repeated promises to control and reduce immigration, the government are delivering the opposite.

Migration Watch August 2022

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on September 27, 2022, 09:26:12 AMThe points system is too lax though or so it seems. Legal inward migration is close to a million. She also mentioned extending the 6 month fruit picking time limit.

Around Tayside there are lots of berryfields, strawberries and rasps. Most school children of our age went picking in the school holidays. I did.

Lots of families when money was tight, buses picked up round the estates. My kids went with their cousins in the 80s. Hard work but fresh air and a bit of spending money. The benefits system here has killed seasonal work. I think it's also killed the work ethic that still drives people in less affluent countries.

Even if farmers paid more I don't think they'd fill the vacancies. What's the answer? Import more fruit?  Or force the unemployed to work?

September 27, 2022, 10:48:14 AM
Quote from: Alex on September 27, 2022, 10:01:18 AMThe Home Office released visa, asylum and immigration statistics for the year to June 2022.

1.1 million visas were granted for people to come and live in the UK (a rise of more than half a million when compared with the year to June 2019 – before the pandemic.)

It is the highest number of visas for people to come and live here ever issued in one year, suggesting that despite repeated promises to control and reduce immigration, the government are delivering the opposite.

Migration Watch August 2022

Have they mentioned the reduction in EU migrants since Brexit? I heard it mentioned on TV didn't catch numbers though.