hung parliament good/bad

Started by alfred, June 14, 2022, 07:59:22 AM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

I think a lot of us may well not vote Raven. Its all getting a bit extreme.  I just want a society where individual choice and endeavour is valued, along with proper support for the genuinely vulnerable.  A decent flat rate state pension for all; more social housing (without RTB) for low paid workers; increased numbers of police, realistic sentencing and a proper overhaul of the NHS.  Also much speedier processing of asylum applications, plus efficient removals of all overstayers.   

The Tories have had a rough few years with Brexit and Covid, but haven't really grasped what the public want, and all Labour do is snipe.

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Jacqueline

GrannnyMac,  Why are any political parties unable to deliver your perfectly sensible plan? if they can't they don't deserve to be in power, none of them are fit for purpose.  We need a new party full of ordinary people with fresh, new ideas who care about the country and not getting themseves  a cushy carear, some hopes I guess.

GrannyMac

Possibly because ordinary people rarely become MPs? One senior MP from a very ordinary background is Angela Rayner.  No way does she represent me.   

Jacqueline

Raven, do spoil your ballot paper, I did that last time, when I had a council choice between the liberals and plydd wouldn't vote for either, but I did write something across my ballot paper just to let them know I was unhappy, otherwise they think you don't care.

Raven

Quote from: Jacqueline on June 16, 2022, 10:23:11 AMRaven, do spoil your ballot paper, I did that last time, when I had a council choice between the liberals and plydd wouldn't vote for either, but I did write something across my ballot paper just to let them know I was unhappy, otherwise they think you don't care.

Aye, I could do that right enough.:cool:

-Oy-

Quote from: Jacqueline on June 16, 2022, 10:23:11 AMRaven, do spoil your ballot paper, I did that last time, when I had a council choice between the liberals and plydd wouldn't vote for either, but I did write something across my ballot paper just to let them know I was unhappy, otherwise they think you don't care.
There should be a box for "None of the above"
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Michael Rolls

one can always write it in - although a proper box would be better so that it had to be declared
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on June 15, 2022, 09:27:32 AMI think a lot of us may well not vote Raven. Its all getting a bit extreme.  I just want a society where individual choice and endeavour is valued, along with proper support for the genuinely vulnerable.  A decent flat rate state pension for all; more social housing (without RTB) for low paid workers; increased numbers of police, realistic sentencing and a proper overhaul of the NHS.  Also much speedier processing of asylum applications, plus efficient removals of all overstayers. 

The Tories have had a rough few years with Brexit and Covid, but haven't really grasped what the public want, and all Labour do is snipe.

I concur GM, I won't ever vote again. I couldn't bring myself to support this dreadful man Johnson and Starmer who spent four years attempting to reverse the referendum result - never, nor the party either for that matter. Although I could vote I don't think it's equitable to live permanently abroad and then try to influence affairs with a 'non-sequitur' vote from 4,000 miles away.

As I've said previously, Johnson should grant Scotland another Independence Referendum and whatever the outcome Scottish MP's to then be precluded from Westminster as part of the deal to grant Sturgeon her ballot. We'd of course still have to honour the 'Barnet Formula, but at least the SNP couldn't further distort events in England. I'd also grant the same to the other devolved parliaments in Wales and Belfast.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

Cass, As I keep saying I'm not up on politics at all, just know what I like and would like to see happen.
I was always under the impression that the 4 Countries that make up the UK were in an equal Partnership/Union.
Why is it then that England gets to call the shots?
If one of the countries wants to leave why should they have to ask England's permission? Hardly seems like an equal partnership to me.

klondike

Westminster is the location of the parliament of the United Kingdom and that parliament has to give permission. Presumably it's in some treaty or other. It isn't England calling the shots. England doesn't even have its own parliament and is actually the underdog in the union.

We live in a time when intelligent people are silenced so that stupid people won't be offended

GrannyMac

Quote from: Cassandra on June 16, 2022, 05:38:46 PMI concur GM, I won't ever vote again. I couldn't bring myself to support this dreadful man Johnson and Starmer who spent four years attempting to reverse the referendum result - never, nor the party either for that matter. Although I could vote I don't think it's equitable to live permanently abroad and then try to influence affairs with a 'non-sequitur' vote from 4,000 miles away.

As I've said previously, Johnson should grant Scotland another Independence Referendum and whatever the outcome Scottish MP's to then be precluded from Westminster as part of the deal to grant Sturgeon her ballot. We'd of course still have to honour the 'Barnet Formula, but at least the SNP couldn't further distort events in England. I'd also grant the same to the other devolved parliaments in Wales and Belfast.

Thats an interesting suggestion Cassandra! 

Raven, Scotland is already making its own rules in different areas, like the NHS, education etc.  Its always had its own legal system.  I've been reading, on a different forum, suggestions that many of the wealthier residents and businesses may leave Scotland if there is another referendum.  The small increase in income tax over the rest of the UK is seen by some as a warning of things to come, should independence be the outcome. 

Good point klondike.

Cassandra

Quote from: Raven on June 16, 2022, 07:36:46 PMCass, As I keep saying I'm not up on politics at all, just know what I like and would like to see happen.
I was always under the impression that the 4 Countries that make up the UK were in an equal Partnership/Union.
Why is it then that England gets to call the shots?
If one of the countries wants to leave why should they have to ask England's permission? Hardly seems like an equal partnership to me.

I agree completely and have never understood why we have to fund Scotland via the Barnett Formula - which is patronising to say the least. Labour were quite rightly scared of what now exists, a myriad of SNP seats mainly coming from their previous dominance. Barnett and 'Sunny Jim' back in '78 cheaply tried to buy off Scotland with their own oil revenues!

I'm all for independence if thats what Scotland wants, but I feel there's a majority the other way. Not ideologs, they're pragmatists, far more concerned in getting Independence and then giving it up to Brussels the next day? Also the Euro would destroy a proud and wonderful Nation!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

Thanks Cass, and that worries me too........A Lot  :hmm:
I feel between the devil and the deep blue sea, as if I vote No then It's voting to stay in the Union. If I vote Yes I'm voting to return to the EU, neither of which is what I would like, I'm all for Scotland being an independent Country once more, but not the way the SNP are wanting things to go. :cry: