Policing in UK

Started by Alex, May 19, 2022, 11:35:22 AM

« previous - next »

-Oy-

So you're comparing wearing a rainbow badge at a Pride event to wearing a swastika at a far right rally? Really?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

klondike

Not at all. I'm asking why any change to normal uniform is required. Or for that matter permitted.

We live in a time when intelligent people are silenced so that stupid people won't be offended

Michael Rolls

Well, I am bothered - in fact, I regard it as disgraceful. The police are supposed to be impartial upholders of the law, not an organisation to show alignment to some groups and not others
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

That is my point too taken to absurdity obviously.

So...

For the pro EU marches - a stance supported by 48% of the population would it have been acceptable for the police to wear EU berets?

On a BNP march Union Jacks?

Rosettes on polling days?

If blackface by whites is unacceptable why are rainbow symbols fine for straights?

The police are there to ensure the rule of law is upheld not to offer support to minority groups. Certainly not some groups and not others which is why I mentioned swastikas which may be illegal in Germany and distasteful to the majority here but they too are symbols of a minority group.

We live in a time when intelligent people are silenced so that stupid people won't be offended

-Oy-

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Alex

Quote from: -Oy- on May 19, 2022, 09:19:05 PM
I think I'm done.

In this case your argument doesn't hold up chuck !  :grin:

GrannyMac

Its not an argument, its an opinion. I see the gesture as being supportive of people who may come under attack.  Political extremist groups are policed for very different reasons.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Deleted  :halo:

GrannyMac

No comparison. Pride is a joyful, carnival type occasion, OTT in my opinion, but I understand why people who were persecuted not so long ago now show solidarity and celebration of society's change towards them.  I just get why some police officers at those events want to appear approachable and supportive. 

I think zoony nailed it in one sentence.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 19, 2022, 12:49:34 PM
The Cambridge Super originally wore the helmet designed by local students when he was policing a Pride march in 2019.  I'm wondering how it interferes with his job? He doesn't appear to wear it unless he's at an event.  I quite like it!

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/must-reads/senior-police-officer-celebrates-in-style-as-he-is-spotted-at-pride-event-wearing-lgbtq-helmet-156240/

The police shouldn't be at these events to show support, they're there to enforce the law & keep the peace.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

-Oy-

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 19, 2022, 11:07:11 PM
Its not an argument, its an opinion. I see the gesture as being supportive of people who may come under attack.  Political extremist groups are policed for very different reasons.
Very well said again Granny!

Also - worth mentioning is that the Police lady in my photo was part of the parade - not "on duty" as such.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: -Oy- on May 20, 2022, 09:33:13 AM
Very well said again Granny!

Also - worth mentioning is that the Police lady in my photo was part of the parade - not "on duty" as such.
Then why was she in what appears to be her uniform?
Mike
[email protected]

Diasi

Well the Police could wear one of these when policing events in Scotland.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Diasi on May 20, 2022, 09:40:19 AM
Well the Police could wear one of these when policing events in Scotland.
How you know they don't?
Mike   [2000] [2000]
[email protected]

Jacqueline

What happened to "without fear or favour" by wearing these clown suits they are not seen to be impartial.